1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Install DEI 545t Nite-Lite System to Add Auto Headlights

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Israel, May 5, 2013.

1. Vitaliy

Vitaliy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you mind post link to that post

2. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Auto-on headlights for v2 and v3 | PriusChat

This is where I discuss grounding with or without switch for auto-on headlights.
    I don't have a pic of the harness or the instructions for the fog lights. I need to research where I found the link to the fog light kit - then I can dig up the diagram - but the post is pretty descriptive.

3. Israel

Israel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi mudmanrv, I read your post. Thanks for the info. What I like about using the DEI system is that… 1) The dash will always remind you that your lights are on (whether you turn on your lights using the stalk or whether the lights go on with the auto light sensor). 2) When it is raining and you begin to use your wipers, the lights come on automatically as well even though it still isn't dark enough to turn on your headlights with the light sensor. Here in California, you can be stopped by the cops if you are using your wipers and forget to turn on your headlights. But, if auto headlights is what anyone only wants, then your option is most cost effective and easier to modify.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It seems the factory provides auto headlights with an on off switch. They also work when it rains. You simply turn the lights on and leave them on. They will shutoff automatically when you turn off the car. They are on all the time when driving, required in some areas. Obviously they are on when it rains, but are also on if you forget to turn them on at dusk or sudden darkness due to a storm (many often drive without headlights in early evening because the dash is always lit up). You switch off the behavior if needed by turning the lights off manually. The only real 'downside' is that the $15 bulbs may burn out at 50k miles instead of sometime later. The safety improvement during the day and at dusk is worth it. By the way, the dash shows a headlight symbol on the top right of the cluster.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Isn't there a downside in turning the lights on to achieve the DRL benefit that the rear "running" light are also on reducing the contrast between brake lights on and off.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That's true at night as well as in the day. Regulations dictate the intensity of running versus brake lights, which are much brighter. However the required High Mounted Center Brake Light (above the hatch glass) addresses the issue day or night plus gives driver's a look at the braking of car's 2 or more ahead.

7. Percy Romero

Percy Romero New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi are dashboard lights go on with the rest of the light

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They do, it just automates turning the headlights on, so dashboard illumination is standard. This is not DRL, which does not illuminate the dashboard, if that's what you are asking.

9. Percy Romero

Percy Romero New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did you use relays