1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to jump start the Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Susan Todd, May 3, 2014.

1. Susan Todd

Susan Todd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I just cannot believe that the only way to jump a 2012 Prius C is to open the hatch in the back seat and try to find the terminals that are EXTREMELY WELL HIDDEN and hope you don't start the thing on fire in the process.

It was 50 BELOW ZERO in Fairbanks this past winter and several friends and I were trying to do this in the dark. YOU try it, my dear Toyota engineers! Trust me. That is HELL.

Now it is dead again, heaven knows why. I absolutely ADORE this little car. But I can't deal with this horrid engineering disaster. I am never going to jump it at -50 again. I am going to trade it in for the newer model that doesn't have this dreadful FLAW. I can't risk that this will happen in the winter. It is an absolute major horrible hassle even in the summer!

Great little car. Horrible, terrible AWFUL and inexcusably bad design on the 12 v battery. Love the car. Curse the engineer who designed this part of it.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You should have received an OWNERS MANUAL with your fine little new car.

In it should be a page that tells you how to locate the jumper points that are located in the engine compartment and are (more or less) plainly visible and easy to access. :)

AND if you haven't been in Fairbanks long enough to know this already.........almost NO VEHICLE will start at -50 F without taking some effort to plan ahead and do things like connecting a battery maintainer AND some kind of block heater.

P.S. Your local Toyota dealer would be happy to show you those connection points AND recommend what others do to ensure that their hybrids will run in the winter time.

robertmaria likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so much for the pretty trolls.

4. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Easy Rider:
    "You should have received an OWNERS MANUAL with your fine little new car. In it should be a page that tells you how to locate the jumper points that are located in the engine compartment and are (more or less) plainly visible and easy to access. :)"

Re-read the OP's first paragraph, in which she tells you she has a 2012 model; like mine it does NOT have engine compartment jumper points.

GT-I9300 ?

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    WOW.....so much for Toyota's superior engineering expertise. :(

Does that mean that there is no "designated" point to make a (+) connection .........or that there really is not one that can be accessed reasonably ??

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No flashlight in -50 Alaska at night amongst several people = Operator Error.

New car, new battery, but dead? From the cold?

7. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    the jumper point on a 2014 is a flat spade connector buried in plastic next to a 100AMP wire. did i mention it is ONE HUNDRED AMP !?! i hope the upgrade fix Toyota for 2012 has better safety for you. the 12v jump point 2014 on my c1 seems unacceptable already. and PLUS you have to GUESS where to connect the negative wire on the engine. or motor. or ICE. ? good luck

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't understand your concern over 100 amps.
    The spade "connector" probably is connected directly TO that 100 amp wire.

A normal car battery is capable of delivering 300 amps or more at the battery terminals.

9. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    good point and that makes good sense. too bad the connection itself seems to be inaccessable. maybe it needs special jumper cables.

10. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you see my avatar - it's 100 miles from the North Pole. Cars up North require a different set of procedures to keep them going. Battery tenders, engine block heaters and knowing where to do a jump start. This is standard knowledge unless you are a recent transplant….Cheechako.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    CapeAnn likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding step 4 above: they say to make the last cable to the negative battery post. I've always heard it should be to grounded bare metal on the engine or frame, ie: away from the battery, since it tends to spark. There might not be any decent bare metal in the vicinity, though.

13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All valid points. I stupidly left something on and next morning the bat was DEAD. After 3Prii I should know better right. Anyway, the design of that bat compartment is a disaster, totally annoying and just a bitch to do in the dark with a wrench in one hand and a flashlight in the other. it's almost as if Toyota is challenging you to remove the Battery. Anyway, I got it out, recharged it with a low current charger overnite and got it to 13 V plus. Reinstalling was even more difficult as the battery must be placed in one location that is only marked by a slight indentation in the metal floor. Also, Toyota thought it brilliant to partially enclose the whole bat with a clear plastic . It is a bit heavy duty, but still wants to slide. Fun,fun Toyota could have done much better. My VW Bug battery access was a vast improvement over this design. Why didn't I just call Toyota? Frankly I did not want to listen to their BS. From now on I keep the C locked also.

iPad ?

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think you need to remove the battery to charge it, I've never bothered, when doing a trickle charge on ours. The manual says to remove for charging, but maybe unneeded?

16. Mike & Flo Adams

Mike & Flo Adams "God makes the wind. We set the sails."

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    We have owned three Prius autos since 1999 and now have a V and I pick up my new C in two days. On the first three we owned we ended up replacing the factory 12V battery with a larger 12V battery with more cold cranking amps and more capacity. Not due to cold, we live in Texas, but because the cars would not crank after we came back from vacation or we accidently caused a power drain.

We are not even sure that the 2014 C or our 2012 V still need that mod, or can accept that mod, but I will check. If so we will do it again. I do not want my wife, or myself, stranded.

I must say that if I lived anywhere that got anywhere near zero degrees at anytime I would carry flashlights, glow sticks, blankets, gloves, hats, two way ham radios and/or cell phones, personal emergency locator beacons (that are usually supplied free for the asking to people in Alaska) and more flashlights. It is unfair to blame the engineers for such an event. They have to design and build these cars for people all over the world and not just for one person in one environment, at night, who does not carry a working flashlight. It is the owner's job to have familiarity with the the one machine that could save your life if you got caught out on the road somewhere all alone. God may make the wind but we must set the sails.

17. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's always a good idea.

You DO know that the battery doesn't HAVE to be removed to be charged......right ??
    And if there are "connection points" under the hood, you don't even have to SEE the actual battery.
    Unless of course you don't have an extension cord long enough to reach the car.

18. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    On my Gen2 I only have to pop a small plastic cover off under the hood and apply a 12V supply that is enough to power the computer. Then the HV battery starts the engine and begins to charge the main 12V battery. I kinda thought the C was the same, but never checked into it.

Maybe a Battery Tender with permanent connection rings installed would help you guys up North?

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is a thread on here that shows how to upgrade the 2012 fuse panel to include the jumper terminal. That's my next project.

20. Vanmeciv

Vanmeciv New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Any updates on that project?