1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Jump start?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Aditya, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just picked up this from Amazon! Portable 12000 mAh Dual 5V USB Power Bank, Car Jump Starter - Product Tour

bisco likes this.
  2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got this one;

Now I just have to part with it and give it to my son who is home for Father's Day weekend to bake me a strawberry pie.

bisco, rxlawdude and Sergiospl like this.
  3. edc415

edc415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

When using the jump starter, since the cables are so short, where do you connect them?

I'd like to know as I bought a similar unit:

Connected it under hood. Positive to terminal in fuse box. Couldn't attach to recommended negative location so I found a nearby bolt and crossed my fingers. It worked luckily,

The cables are short on the portable battery packs and want to know where you and others attach when using under the hood method.

#43 edc415, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When using the BatteryMINDer 1510 Charger, I use a shock tower nut just behind the fuse box;).

Works well(y).

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bisco! Just a funny dude with his hilarious comments. Well, that was really, funny.

bisco likes this.
  6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can relate with you on putting the small 12V battery on a charger.

Some years ago, a client of mine, whose got his Camry hybrid aux battery dead, gave the battery to a battery charger to charge. When the battery charger returned the battery, it was already toast(swollen). Eventually, that killed the battery, and owner had to to look for another one, which unfortunately, he couldn't get. So, what he sis in the interim, was to get a standard 12V battery for a conventional car.

Lesson learnt is never give someone whose got no basics in hybrid vehicles such batteries.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a stud sticking out of the adjacent egr valve on the engine that I've used for a ground point.

upload_2017-12-27_12-19-59.png

edc415 likes this.
  8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think there's a protocol. He's right. There's a section of the manual that takes about battery storage or something like that, where you have a special charger with a particular amperage to charge the battery, for some set time.

9. edc415

edc415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you. Good catch on two step 4s.

I always RTFM but the manual 2010 Prius IV with solar and nav is hard to digest.
    I have found pieces of the manual in PDF format on Toyota's website but not the entire thing.

Is it available anywhere as one PDF that has been OCR'ed? Service manual would be great too.

10. edc415

edc415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds kinky! What is a shock tower nut? Sounds like a good connection point. A visual would be greatly appreciated.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. edc415

edc415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you, Mendel. I'm confused as to where this is in relation to fuse box. Have no idea what an EGR valve is, sorry. Will go look under hood when I take my pup for a walk.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are numerous ways that car can be started. I have tried that several times.

1. The other car. If you have some discarded HV battery modules lying around, let's say, they're in the 6...volts range, you could connect the 2modules in series, and you've got a 12V battery pack, with maybe, +-6.5Ah.

Connect that pack to the terminals of the dead battery (by this time, the dead battery voltage resting might be , 10..., or 11...volts. Ensure the polarity terminals are OK.

Crank the engine of the other car. Straightaway it starts. Have done this several times.

Immediately the car starts, did connect the battery pack, and keep it in your car.

Those discarded modules are handy.

2. Jump starting your car is the same.

Dxta

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hah, looking for an epoxy repair pic, I also found (arguably) a better pic of that EGR valve stud. Facing the engine bay, it's just to the left of the engine bay fuse box, quite convenient:

upload_2017-12-27_13-44-48.png

Raytheeagle and edc415 like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I watched the dealership mechanic use that point, before we even bought our baby. It had been sitting at the back of storage shed for many months, boxed in by other cars and all dusty. A dead bird lay beside it.

We spotted it, said that's the one we want, please prep it for a test drive. When we showed up for that, they "had it running, warmed it up for you...".

Anyways, after the drive, we wanted to buy, needed to check the mileage on it, so out we go, and what do you know: it won't start. Out comes mechanic with jump pack, used aforementioned ground point, and we went back in, made fresh 12 volt battery one of the sales conditions.

edc415 likes this.
  15. edc415

edc415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Perfect! Thank you! You resolved something I've been wondering about for 6 months. Does Prius Chat have a place with easy fixes like this?

Over 3 years I've had a few dome light on draining incidents - mostly after upgrading the nav DVD or some other fiddling with the MFD and iPhone. Ooops. AAA came out 3 times last year to jump start - got tired of high pressure battery sales tactics so got my own portable charger.

Next step is to figure out best way to install and use a battery tender I bought @ Costco so I can avoid jump starting so much. I am trying to walk more and drive less. Can't start car if left sitting over 2 weeks.

Still on original OEM battery mfg in 2009 and hope to breathe some life into it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    edc415 likes this.
  17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You need a new 12VDC battery.

Yea Right and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may have exceeded the amperage ratings on the OEM battery, by loading it up with aftermarket accessories as you've done. Maybe that's y you had the parasitic drain problem.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is more than enough excuse to swap out the offending lights with much lower current LED lamps. While this won't abolish such dead battery incidents, it will greatly extend the time available to discover and remedy the problem before a jump start becomes a necessity. E.g. leave the light on all night, and the car will still start the next day.

edc415 likes this.
  20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    edc415 has an 8 year old 12VDC battery in a seldom driven Prius that has needed a jump 3 times. He needs a new battery.