1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Jump start?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Aditya, Apr 2, 2015.

1. edc415

edc415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    More like 8 times. Lol.

I've read of slow trickle charging breathing new life into old batteries on here and from an automotive friend. Before spending a ton of $$$ on a new battery, I plan on using the battery tender on my 8 year old battery. It's tested healthy before afte just r driving around to recharge it

I don't drive that often. If trickle charging doesn't do the trick, I'll consider replacing it.

I have no power sucking accessories. Everything is stock on my Prius. The one plug in USB charger is permanently disconnected. Learned it had some phantom power draw.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't drive that often, you may want to consider the battery tender whenever possible.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. edc415

edc415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I h
    Great advice.

Have no aftermarket accessories to speak of. I did have a USB charger that when I unplugged, the ready light came on after many failed start attempts. I threw it away.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    8 year old battery, drained it 8 times requiring a jump and won't start after 2 weeks sitting? You WILL be buying a new battery very soon. The minder is a good proactive solution for the new one if your current driving habits continue though. I'm not dissing you, the Prius or your lifestyle...just telling you like it is. Wish ya the best. :)

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. edc415

edc415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. I hear everybody. New battery. Battery mind new battery if not driven much.

Going to unsubscribe thread as I'll never catch up on responding and have too many email notifications. It's stressing me out more than helping out the $$$ for a new battery. LOL. Prius Chat is addicting and the wealth of knowledge is much appreciated.

Will post an update when battery is most likely replaced.

Current Plan is hook up battery minder. Drive. Towards end of January, Do oil change/checkup at Luscious Garage here in SF. If they say replace, I will.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. hpat

hpat New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey i know this is an old post but i have an ‘06 civic that dies almost everyday the temp goes under 0-10°F. i had AAA test my battery - it was in good condition and doesnt need replaced. i suppose its just too cold for my car to start. could my partners ‘13 prius c jump my civic safely? when i have gotten it jumped by professional external battery chargers or whatever theyre actually called (lol), my car started as soon as the cables were connected, with no hesitation, leading me to believe that i wouldnt need much power from the prius battery. thoughts? i just dont wanna use up all of my aaa roadside assistances in the first month of the year

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it can be, but there are some risks involved. i would purchase and carry a lithium jump pack

jerrymildred, Yea Right and Pluggo like this.
  8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have a used up battery or other electrical problems causing the battery to discharge. They don't just stop working because it's real cold. Don't chance screwing up the Prius C...get your Civic fixed.

jerrymildred likes this.