1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to keep cats off your car roof?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by The Professor, Aug 29, 2018.

1. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Since taking ownership of my Prius back in April, I've noticed a gradual increase in the number of scratches in the paint on the roof, which I didn't understand as nothing should be anywhere near the roof.

Finally caught the vandal today after a particularly bad scratch appeared, that I knew wasn't there 10 minutes earlier, and I checked my security camera footage and saw my neighbour's car jumping onto the roof and sitting there, exactly where the scratch now is, before leaping back off when it heard me opening the front door.

Any (serious) suggestions on how to discourage this behaviour?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cat's like to sit up high. If that's the best vantage point in the immediate area, it's the winner. A cat tree next to your car may do it. :)

But a cat really shouldn't cause any sort of damage or scratches when it jumps on something like a metal car.

If you're really worried about it you could clear coat wrap it. Like the clear "bra" that prevents rock chips, a clear whole roof coating should contain whatever

RCO and The Professor like this.
  3. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ...or buy a plastic owl...lol

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

The Professor likes this.
  4. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just be happy that cat is not pooping inside the engine bay, like happened to me.
    I don't know how to discourage your neighbor's cat, but in the meantime, maybe toss a blanket over the top to at least prevent scratches? Or that might make the car more attractive, I don't know.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure your car roof isn't higher or warmer than anything else around.

6. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may not think this is serious, and it depends where you live, but neighbors don't have any right to let their cats damage others' property just because they consider it an outdoor cat. When my neighbor's cat kept pooping in our vegetable garden, I quietly shot it with my air rifle and disposed of the body in a plastic bag in the trash. For all they know it was a coyote, hawk or fox that got it; as they're all over the place.

You're in the UK and maybe an urban/suburban area, so that probably wouldn't work for you.

Other ideas:
    a) Put KY Jelly on the roof of your car

b) Show the footage to your neighbor and ask him to keep the cat off of your car. If not call the cops, make a report, have a body shop fix the paint, and have the bill sent to your neighbor.

c) Put sticky mouse traps on top of the car when parked. The cat will probably not come back after getting those stuck to itself. (and after its owner has to remove them)

d) Pay some neighborhood kid to guard your car with a Super Soaker water gun when the cat's likely to come around. (if it's in the daylight)

e) Get a motion sensor alarm with a LOUD siren right near your car

douglasjre and goldfinger like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Typographical errors can be humourous :D

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    HAH! Sorry but no that's not true. Their claws will scratch paint as good as any sharp object and a waxed surface provides little traction for their pads. BTDT and got the scars to prove it (umm the car not me).

The OP might look into applying some "anti-cat" chemical scents on and around his car for a bit.

kenoarto likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Smaug1 recently said:
    I quietly shot it with my air rifle and disposed of the body in a plastic bag in the trash. For all they know it was a coyote, hawk or fox that got it; as they're all over the place.

Although I am no fan of cat prints on my vehicles, perhaps you're not aware your actions :confused: could result in jail time. Straight from your state documents....

510 ILCS 70/3.02: Aggravated Cruelty is defined as: "intentionally commit an act that causes a companion animal to suffer serious injury or death." Euthanasia by a method recognized by the Department of Agriculture is exempted. Conviction is a Class 4 Felony, a subsequent conviction is a Class 3 felony. In addition to other penalties provided by law, the person may be required to undergo psychological evaluation and treatment.

Classification of Crime

Class 4 Felony

1-3 years usual jail or prison time

1 year mandatory

Up to $25,000 fine

10. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Who's idea was it to put the r next to the t?

kenoarto and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cat?

The Professor likes this.
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We've had (and have) multiple cats. Never seen any damage from them jumping on the car or really anything else. They leave paw-prints of dirt, but that's it. You can't even hear them when they jump, they don't use their claws to land unless its on something like a tree. If your cat is using claws to land on a metal surface, its genes may be too diluted from true cats or even barn cats to realize that's not "how to cat".

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UNortunately, the OP lives in the UK, and it's illegal to pop cats with an air rifle, even with the less than lethal air rifles that their government allows them to possess.
    For people that live in the US, some of our more oppressive states legally frown on shooting vermin as well, and I would strongly discourage this activity near an automobile in an urban setting anyway......for all of the obvious reasons.

#1 - I always recommend communicating with the neighbor as a first line of defense, and this is almost universally successful for domesticated cats who own humans that care for them....and CARE for them.
    Of course.....the "right message" needs to be sent, and sometimes a live trap and a can of tuna with the number of the local animal control authorities on the side of it will send just the right message.
    I used this method on a crazy cat lady who insisted that her feline had the "right to be free" in OUR neighborhood, but as it turns out animal control laws in totalitarian states that prohibit shooting vermin also tend to prohibit domesticated pets that are not collared and leashed.
    Once she was familiarized with the laws and the penalties and saw a baited live trap next to my convertible, I never saw her cat again.

She also never spoke with me again.
    Win Win.

If you have a particularly recalcitrant neighbor, you can always trap the cats (the live traps are less than $40 in the US) and take them to the nearest shelter.
    Most modern shelters in the US have drop-off cages if you don't want to deal with the staff.

Always check with your local laws.

#2. - LTL pneumatic force.
    LTL...or "less than leathal" BBs still hurt like the blazes, and they will discourage cats from roosting on your car, BUT they can knock a dent in a Prius, punch through a window, etc.
    However....(comma!) paintball guns are cheaper, and they can have the same effect on felines without as much risk to property, bystanders, etc....
    Just sayin...... ;)

#3 - Chemical Warfare.
    Cayenne Pepper or regular Black Pepper is effective in my current neighborhood.
    There are also commercial preparations that are more or less effective as well.

#4 - Electronic Warfare.
    Passive Infrared Alarms (think: garden frogs) can discourage felines from using your car's roof as an airy. You can also "go solar" and use an electric fence charger and some of the newer polytape - although great care must also be used with these devices and suburbanites, as always, might be constrained by laws.

Good Luck!!!

How to Keep Cats Off Cars | Cuteness

#13 ETC(SS), Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  14. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Cats are your friend. They won't chew up the wiring in your car--which is made of soy. Rats and squirrels do. Cats will keep them at bay.

ITBland and 2k1Toaster like this.
  15. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cats will destroy the paint. Going back to my first TOYOTA in 1974 I lived in a house with an un-sealed (ie dirt) garage, just with concrete tracks for the car. If I came in at night, a cat from somewhere would come in and curl up on the bonnet (hood) to warm up. Trouble was, it'd jump on the boot, across the roof on it's way. Having walked across the grass, the dew on it's feet picked up dirt and when it got on the paint, damaged it severely, it wouldn't buff out. I was quite annoyed, as I kept my car immaculate.

I had "PEPPER" suggested - so I bought a container of ready-to-use pepper, and kept it in the garage, sprinkled just a little on the bonnet, boot and roof when I returned a warm car at night. It only took 2 nights - and I never saw the cat again.

It seems that cats lick their paws ...

I've used it once on the PRIUS (and a few other cars) when I noticed paw marks. After only one night, it didn't return.

douglasjre, RCO and ITBland like this.
  16. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Going to go for the Electronic Warfare option... I used to have a cheap cat scarer that definitely kept cats off my lawn. There seems to be some really improved premium ones these days. Hopefully I'll remember to report back here...

Thanks to all!

DLC82SV and RCO like this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope it keeps the car cat off your Prius too. ;)

ITBland and The Professor like this.
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  19. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    One Prius owner took it to an extreme....

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

#19 Starship16, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    douglasjre and mczouav like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would keep cats off your roof.