1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to keep cats off your car roof?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by The Professor, Aug 29, 2018.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As for invasive/disease spreading rodents, on our property and in our region in the world, we remain free of that Middle Ages problem by maintaining basic hygiene and sanitation standards.

The average person is much more likely to get a serious illness by having a cat around than not.

Over the years I have treated a fair number of people with serious infections due to cat bites and/or scratches, serious enough to require hospitalization. Compare that to the plague which is technically widespread in much of our Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills as a reservoir (not disease). However, the CDC reports only ~10 cases of plague in humans per year in the western United States and all of these are typically from people more adventurous than your typical urbanite/suburbanite.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah! …when I see the word "plague" I am reminded of Dan Brown's novel "Inferno" in which a really neat solution to the current world's problem of over-population is suggested!

RCO likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Coyotes used to take care of most of the stray cats and dogs around here...until human infestation grew and ran them off.

Folks check your local laws as they apply to your cats, dogs or whatever and follow them. Good fences also make good neighbors.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Stray cats and dogs are virtually non-existent around here.
    Oh, if anyone's interested, there's a couple of Chinese Buffets that opened up here.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love chinese buffet. haven't seen one since san diego

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stray cats and dogs around here are "any" not on a leash outside the fenced yard of an owner.

RCO likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was wondering how a thread with a title like this could reach 84 posts.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But...per post #70, cats are entitled too.

9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, possibly - I'm extremely allergic to cats, and yes, had a minor cat bite and ended up in hospital. I know many people who are quite allergic to cats, and at least one who is allergic to dogs.

BUT

- cats and dogs (guinea pigs, hamsters and pet mice too) - have been a life-saver for many too, as far as being a companion, particularly for people who are widowed, suffering from PTSD or experienced similar personal disasters.

Cats are recognised as “working service animals” at least in USA now - though I suspect pet mice aren't.

"Speedy" the white mouse circled - sharing Double Bass practise with my son [I think it was Speedy - he had a few over the years!!].

upload_2018-9-17_10-24-43.png upload_2018-9-17_10-26-4.png upload_2018-9-17_10-26-42.png

RCO, Prodigyplace, mudworm and 2 others like this.
  10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Indoor and controlled pets, on a leash or caged when transporting outside, off others property and away from wildlife, mindful to not encroach on others rights to not have an asthma attack... all good human behavior.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Human beings, ever reproducing (not much different from feral cats or rodents), have been encroaching on animals' rights to survive for centuries. Not that long ago, a young mountain lion, tracked by GPS, hid behind a bush for nine hours in the downtown of a well populated city before, only months later, he was struck dead while trying to cross a highway towards a more mountainous region. I can only imagine the horror he experienced while hiding behind the bush only feet away from the hustle and bustle. (source)

Good human behaviors include talking to and working with neighbors to resolve neighborhood issues, having respect for animal lives, especially those of human companions, and participating in positive actions that lead to greater good impact, etc, etc. Complaining does not solve issue. Injuring, torturing, or killing defenseless animals, including others' pets, not even to support one's own survival, is cowardly and pathetic.

krmcg likes this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good human behavior includes following your local leash and containment laws to first protect the pets we so love and second to respect and protect other persons and property. Doesn't matter is you have livestock, a cat, a dog, a mouse, a snake or what ever makes you feel good and is allowed by law. A person who allows one's pet free run to go and/or do anything "they think" is fair is the problem.

13. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that it is indeed the human's responsibility to ensure his/her pet animals do not cause harm to others. Apparently, animals like this dog in this video do not belong on the street without a short leash, and I have no doubt that certain law was aptly applied afterwards.

However, waving the law book upon the sight of a neighbor's cat roaming in your yard is a bit hysterical. I know my cats sometimes visit neighbors' yards, neighbors' cats visit mine occasionally, and a neighbor's big Labrador by the name Sugar comes to my back door and says hi from time to time. Thank god none of us is in jail, yet. See, there are laws, and there are common senses. The entitlement to the "privacy" and "private property" only defined by some arbitrary boundaries is driving the modern society to an alarming level of isolation and hysteria.

The thread started with OP asking what to do when he thinks a neighbor's cat is causing scratches to his car. There are some good suggestions. I'm sorry for detracting but I can't stay silent when some people perceive the behavior plausible when someone bragged about his cowardly murder of a neighbor's cat for invading his garden.

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Common sense...love your pets, respect your neighbors and follow the law.

#94 frodoz737, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The thread here was "How to keep cats off your car roof?" The problem in the scenario is not with dogs, or even the cat which is just doing cat things; it is the uninformed (hopefully) or selfish (hopefully not) owner. So the owner must be addressed.

The owner that lets a cat outside, off the owners property, has made the decision that the convenience to the owner or the owners cat is much more important than the lives of native animals outside or others property. Sad.

Education first when possible.

16. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As has been mentioned, it's not always an "owned" cat (don't cats do the owning anyway - but that's another story? o_O) - but feral cats too. Most problems I've had have been feral cats, and a deterrent like pepper worked a treat to keep them away.

I only read in the last few days, that they don't like walking across coffee grounds (used, presumably) - no guarantees, but I might throw mine across the lawn, and it might help it green up too.

17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL...
    Common sense......isn't.
    Otherwise I would not have to buy cayenne pepper in bulk and keep a live trap in my garage......

iplug and frodoz737 like this.
  18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) Thank you. The comments was reply to mubworm's "emotion/entitled" based comment.

19. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mud! Mudworm!

Amen. If you respect your neighbors, you'll not harm/injure/kill their pet animals. If we follow that very simple and plain common sense, this world will be a lot brighter.

krmcg likes this.
  20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do not condone harming a stray or the neighbors cat, dog, snake, child, whatever...but the laws are there to protect ALL parties. Pets are NOT entitled to free reign and neither are their owners.

RCO and iplug like this.