1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to keep the dealer from dumping dino-oil in your Mobil-1

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dbarry, Feb 25, 2005.

1. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called Mobil Oil on their hotline about this issue.. they sent me some very nice stickers to go in the engine compartment. Hopefully this will help. They are free for the asking, call 1-800-ASKMOBIL

Attached are two pics of the sticker itself and where I installed it just in front of the oil fill cap.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's cool!! Thanks for providing the number and info. I'm currently running dino only b/c the dealer gave me a free oil change as an apology for some other problems...but didn't know I'd just had the oil changed 2 weeks earlier with my usual Mobil 1.

Couldn't justify dumping 4 quarts of perfectly good dino just to change back, but maybe that sticker would've helped prevent the problem...but maybe not.

3. bentdvr

bentdvr New Member

Re: How to keep the dealer from dumping dino-oil in your Mob

Very Cool. Just ordered 3 stickers. I'm going in for my first oil change today. I am supplying my own oil, 3 quarts only Mobil 1, 5W-30W.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Just because you bring your own oil is no guarantee that oil will be used. In rare cases I wouldn't be surprised if somebody just put your expensive synthetic oil in their personal vehicle and used the dealer oil.

A friend of mine has a lease-return 2002 Buick Century. He purchased Mobil 1 for his first scheduled oil change and left very explicit written instructions to use the oil he had in the trunk.

He picked up his car when done, then drove to the grocery store. Upon returning with a cart full of groceries, he opened the trunk and - surprise! - there was his Mobil 1 still in the trunk.

He went back to the dealer and they - of course - couldn't understand what happened. So from that time on he has changed the oil himself.

Short of peering over the shoulder of the technician, I'm not sure what you can do to prevent that from happening.

Unless you can't change your own oil, I have to recommend doing it yourself. This car is very easy to service: the oil filter is remarkably easy to get to and so is the drain plug.

You don't need ramps. The thing holds less than 4 litres, so you should be able to find a shallow drain pan that slides under. As long as you're careful with removing the old drain plug gasket and putting on a new one, and not overtorqueing the drain plug, it's straightforward enough.

Just make sure to very slowly add the new oil and you won't have to worry about the PCV system introducing oil into the intake manifold.

5. bentdvr

bentdvr New Member

I plan on doing my own oil changes but this first service is free 8) . I am going to have them install a Fumoto valve and have already bought a drain pan.

6. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've been using Mobil One 0-40W and it works fine. I was using the 5-30W. I thought this might help the engine during starting (plus better gas mileage).

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts\";p=\"67439)</div>
    It appears a 0W-40 is "ok" to use in Europe. See:

http://www.bplubricants.co.uk

Click on "Recommendations," "Retail," "Cars," and then scroll down the drop box to "Toyota." Do not click "Toyota US" though.

The Prius is listed in the Toyota EU section. BP's primary recommendation is their premium synthetic Visco 7000 0W-40.

Alternative viscosity choices are 5W-30, 10W-30 if above -18 C, 15W-40 if above -12 C, and 20W-50 if above -7 C.

Much like how the same Honda motor in Europe can run everything from a 0W-20 to a 20W-50 depending on ambient temperature range.

8. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just did a change this afternoon, and I installed the FRAM Suredrain valve, which I found at the local auto parts store.

For $12 it's a decent value. What I liked about it was the dust cap that goes over the valve.. no crud gets up in the "works"

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I would *definitely* be interested in that. It makes a somewhat easy job *very* easy. Part number?? Thanks.

10. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Fram part number SD3

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius