1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Know ADAS Features are On

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, Feb 1, 2017.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That was exactly what I had in mind: Creating two super-quick checklists: One I habitually do every time I hit the Power button, and a second (just a few items!) I can glance down to check on an on-going basis.

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On my Gen-2 Touring, the traction control sometimes gets me when I try to quickly take a right turn into traffic, sandwiching myself into traffic. The large difference in speed of the drive wheels on a right turn usually causes the right wheel to slip, and it shuts off all power, which really makes it tough to merge into traffic!

The correct thing for it to do is not to cut power at all, but instead slightly differentially brake the right wheel, to stop it from slipping a let the left wheel accelerate you around the turn.

Now I do understand why my 2009 doesn't do this: It has a classic ABS/VSC system, which is capable of modulating brake pressure, but it is not capable of applying the brakes. So, with no brake pressure, it can't apply brakes to either side, so it's only remaining option is just to cut power. I have dreams -- probably pipe-dreams -- that the P.Prime can do this sort of differential braking...

But I'm getting a little off-topic here...

Daniel L likes this.
  3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Whoa! That's a big concern right there! That didn't quite register until I reread your comment here.

There's a lower-dashboard switch to turn off VSC, right? That means that PCS, probably the single most important active-safety system, is pretty easily to accidentally shut off! (Well, the auto-braking part at least.)

Sounds like our mental checklists need to include, upon getting into the car, and occasionally thereafter, looking down to make sure the VSC-off light is not on.

4. Daniel L

Daniel L Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's difficult to inadvertently turn off VSC. Tapping the button will turn off traction control but not VSC. You would have to deliberately hold down the button to turn off VSC. I believe it defaults to on whenever you start the car but I'm unable to verify as I'm not yet an owner.

mr88cet likes this.
  5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah, OK, that's better, thanks!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition, VSC turns on if you cycle the POWER button.

7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmm... Looks like this spreadsheet got kinda messed up somehow?