1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to - Living without a spare...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jack520, Jun 13, 2015.

1. jack520

jack520 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This lack of spare tire is bothering me some. I have some questions on how people do things....

1. How do you rotate your tires.

I used to jack up my care, put the spare on one tire, and then take that tire and move it to the other location. How do you do this without any spare? Do you use the jack position in the middle and then put two jack stands behind the front wheel and then do the same with the back till they are all up on jack stands ? Then rotate ?

2. If I were going to buy a spare, what size spare should I get ? I have 195/65 R15 on my car. If I went to toyota and asked for a spare tire, what size should I get ? That way when I go on long road trips I could carry the spare (when I am away from cell phone coverage and get a flat)

Thanks ahead of time.

Jack

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For rotating tires, this works champion for me. You need a level slab, preferably in a garage, a decent floor jack, and four jack stands:

1. Loosen all lug nuts, slightly.
    2. Raise the front (using front jacking point) and put in jack stands*.
    3. Raise the reary (using rear jacking point) and put in jack stands.

If you're gonna get a spare and just lay it loose your options are wide open. You could just get a steel rim and a utilitarian tire in 195/65R15, with a regular valve, no TPMS. Even in the States where TPMS is mandatory you shouldn't get push-back on that: there's not TPMS on the temp spare normally.

I've used this steel rim with snow tires, it's compatible:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2006+ model year?)
    Good, cheap LRR tire: Bridgestone Ecopia EP20

* I don't like putting jack stands on the proscribed scissor jack points, as described in the Owners Manual. They're unreinforced, very flimsy. Prefer the points marked in red

Capture.JPG
    :

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    jack520 likes this.
  3. jack520

jack520 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

1. Why would you not buy a smaller space saver spare and not haul around such a big spare ?

2. Is there any risk associated with jacking up the back when the front is already on jack stands ?

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1. Yeah, you could also get a compact spare. The main issues, they're not that much smaller, and might actually be more expense to obtain. There's a few threads here on that.

2. I edited my post a bit after your quote. There's "some" risk, mainly the stability of your jack stands. And that's where Toyota's proscribed jacking points fall short. Take a look at the pic, the front points I use are much more stable/solid.

I've raised a variety of vehicles this way over the years, never a problem. One thing to be careful of: if your slab is not quite planar, you can find when you put all four jackstands on you're actually only making solid contact on three of them. Just be cognisant of this, have some shim material on hand, to make sure all four make solid contact.

jack520 likes this.
  5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I carry a full sized spare and low profile floor jack and 4 way lug wrench behind the drivers seat..i hate the tiny jack and tire that comes with the cars now...if you get one at all..what good is a can of fix a flat and bike air compressor going to do?

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The scissor jack works, I've tried it once on the front end, for practice, and once with an actual flat, on the rear.

I'd be reluctant to carry the extra weight of a floor jack, and not just for the weight: I wouldn't want to be sharing the cabin space with it in a roll-over. I guess the same goes for a loose spare tire, say in the hatch area.

I say the scissor jack "works", but man-o-man: Toyota seems to have gone out of their way to find a lousy one. It's frustrating: the linkage point where you hook up the torsion bar is a cast, single eye design. Much better are the stamped metal, dual-eye designs, much more stable as you turn.

Until (if ever) Toyota manages to fit a temp spare in the plug-in, I wouldn't touch it.

Robert Holt likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i purchased a used compact spare and keep it on the back deck. it takes some searching here and patience to learn what's compatible, and find a good deal. a new one from toyota runs about $450., i got mine for $100.

8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased a used OEM alloy rim to mount a full-sized spare and then modified the plastic tub so that the full sized spare fits under it the way the original space-saver spare does. Have used scissors Jack and then modified it for better stability. (2012 hatchback) rim cost was $100 on eBay.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any thoughts jack?