1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to lock my Prius with the smart key in the car.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SDSURFER, Aug 13, 2010.

1. SDSURFER

SDSURFER New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So when i went to buy my Prius, the salesman assured me there was a way to lock the smart key inside the Prius. The reason I want to do this, is that I like to surf, and I obviously can't take a battery operated smart key into the water. I know there is the hard key that can be removed from the FOB, but honestly what good is it if you can't leave the smart key in the car. Everytime I try to put it far away from the front door (back corner), it still recognizes that the key is in the car. I've seen the other forum saying if i push the back down just to latch then it will, but then any shmo off the street that has seen that post knows to just push down on the back of the trunk.

Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the fob in the car?

Anyway, this is my last effort before I go back to the dealership and berate the salesman. Honestly I would not have bought the car if it means I can't go to the beach and lock the smart key in the car.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Try a search--this has been discussed before.

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Wrap the FOB in aluminum foil or put it in a small metal can without the key, then lock the car with the key.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm... take the metal key out, hide the smart key somewhere, lock the car manually with the metal key.

Surely the metal key is small enough to take with you?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) never take a salesman's word for anything, make them show you before the purchase or get it in writing.:rolleyes:

2) after you lock it up and come back from the surf, how do you get back in?:confused:

6. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He wants to lock the smart key in the car and take the metal one with him. That way he doesn't soak the smart key.

SDsurfer - I just have an altoids can and some aluminum foil. I wrap the key firmly in the foil then put it in the tin. Then just lock the doors with the metal key and attach it to a clip in my board shorts pocket.

7. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just tried a few different ideas.
    The only one that worked for me was putting the fob in the very rear of the trunk and closing it tight. Lock the door by the button on the door (not sure if the alarm arms).
    This is on a 2006, so might not work on the 2010.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As pointed out above and in numerous other threads, to lock a smart key inside, remove the metal key, leave the fob inside, close the door, insert the key into the lock and turn. The driver's door lock is an ordinary lock and works like any other ordinary lock. Twist the key and you've got it.

The suggestions about wrapping the fob in foil or otherwise shielding it are strictly to keep someone from driving off in your Prius if they break in. You don't need to shield the fob to lock it inside, but do understand the risk.

Tom

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can't you take the mechanical key out and lock the FOB in the car by using the mechanical key?

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The one small benefit of shielding the fob is that a would-be thief then must find the fob and un-shield it before he can drive away. "Small" benefit because, every place you can think of to hide the fob, any serious thief will know to search.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FOB inside the car would drain FOB's battery faster too right?

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not clear whether it would or not. When the car is locked via the remote or button on a door handle, only the door oscillators are actively searching for a fob. Once a door is unlocked (opened?), the inside oscillators take over. So if locking the doors with the mechanical key behaves the same as locking them other ways, then the inside oscillators will be silent. If the fob doesn't hear an oscillator, then it doesn't send anything.

If you left the car unlocked with a fob inside, then it clearly would be a drain on the fob battery.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's really a moot point, i mean seriously, who's going to try and steal a prius in san diego?:)

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Uh, so what happens when you are driving along in a city, feel insecure, and lock the doors? Or you are parked and lock the doors while waiting for someone?

There is nothing special about locking a FOB inside a car. You just can't do it electronically from outside or by locking the door and shutting it. You can shut the door and lock it using the key. The electronics in the car would detect that the FOB is in the car but will not stop you from mechanically locking the car as long as a door is not open and then closed.
    You will not "drain the FOB's battery". The world will not end.

Remove key from FOB.
    Hide FOB in the car (somewhere out of sight at least).
    Make sure all lights are off, and car is off.
    Close drivers door once all other doors are closed.
    Lock drivers door using the key.
    Enjoy your surfing outing.

IF someone breaks into the car and finds the FOB or even (if the car still sees the FOB ) doesn't, but press' the brake pedal and "ON/OFF" button, the car will start and you will loose your car.

You can reduce this danger by putting the FOB in a metal container. You DON'T have to wrap it in foil first. The metal container is all you need. IF you can find a secure hiding place for the container then you are reasonably secure.

Life IS a gamble. Enjoy the odds. ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. tdurden12

tdurden12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ummmm, If you leave the smart key inside, and a thief breaks the window, pushes power and drives away, I am pretty sure the insurance company WON'T cover your stolen car claim. That's a huge risk to leaving your key inside the car...

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The car will give a long beep and won't lock if the smart key FOB is inside.

17. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't know Cali laws, but...

State statutes generally follow essentially the same elements of a crime - just like traffic rules and regulations. Theft means the unlawful taking of another's property without their consent, with the intent to deprive them of full use and benefit of that property.

Smashing the window is forced entry, and automatically shows intent to commit a crime. I'd like to see an insurance company decline a theft claim, or the insured party willingly accept that decision.

If you park your car, locked or not, and someone takes it from you, whether by, tow, key, hot wire, or Star Trek Transporter (Beam me up, Scotty!) - it is theft, and if your policy covers theft, your insurance company is obligated to cover the claim. The ease or method of the theft does not negate the commission of a crime.

But hey, I'm in Florida near the beach, and you're three hours earlier on the beach in California - different rules in effect, I suppose. :cool:

Safe trips,

Enjoy the swells! If I were an attorney, I might be able to also. I have to work instead ;)

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it were me, what I'd do is take the battery out of the fob, and use that fob when surfing. Use the metal key to lock and unlock your car, and you keep the fob inside your car. You'll be able to start your car by holding the fob against the Start button.

Then use the other fob normally, in your non-surfing life.

19. Teddy76

Teddy76 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get a water tight plastic bag, that should fix the problem.