1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to make Power Mode the default driving mode.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cproaudio, Apr 11, 2012.

?
  1. 01 Yes, I want to make Power mode default

26.3%
  2. 01 No, I don't want to make Power mode default

12.4%
  3. 01 Yes, I'm interested in making Power mode default

8.8%
  4. 01 No, I'm not interested in making power mode default

14.6%
  5. 01 Yes, I'm interested in knowing how to make power mode default

19.0%
  6. 01 No, I'm not interested in knowing how to make power mode default.

5.8%
  7. 02 I drive in ECO mode all the time

24.8%
  8. 02 I drive in normal mode all the time

24.1%
  9. 02 I drive in power mode all the time

12.4%
  10. 02 I drive in EV mode all the time

0.7%
  11. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because it wastes gas

6.6%
  12. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because I have to select it everytime I power up

10.2%
  13. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because Normal mode is good enough

14.6%
  14. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because the engine sounds like it's gonna blow up.

0.7%
  15. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because ECO mode is too fast for me. PWR is warp speed.

2.2%
  16. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because it defaults back to other modes when powered up.

4.4%
  17. 04 I would drive it power mode more now that I can set it as default mode

10.9%
  18. 04 I would drive it in other modes even though I can set PWR as default mode.

24.1%
  19. 05 I love my Prius even more Knowing PWR can be set as default

22.6%
  20. 05 I look at my Prius the same as before even though the PWR can be set as default

16.8%
  21. 06 If it works, I'm going this mod.

16.1%
  22. 06 It's good to know that PWR mode can be modded to be the default mode.

25.5%
  23. 06 This mod is a complete waste of time.

8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Poll instruction
    This is a multiple poll. Please vote one of the same number once.

This is still the early stages of my research. More info coming soon. But first, I gotta finish doing my taxes... I mean start doing my taxes.

Joe Moose and NortTexSalv04Prius like this.
  2. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Default PWR Mode mod will available in PriusChat Shop soon.

Modification Outline
    1 - Understanding PWR mode
    PWR mode can only be activated after the Prius's computers has booted up. This takes approximately 1 second. Holding down the PWR button while powering up the Prius will not enter PWR mode therefore it is necessary to build a delay pulse circuit. A delay pulse circuit instead of a delay latch circuit is required because a delay pulse circuit will allows you to deactivate the PWR mode later while a delay latch circuit will not.
    2- locate the IGN-ON wire
    It is not necessary to locate the Ready wire. PWR mode can be activated in the IGN-ON stage. When PWR mode is activated in the IGN-ON stage, it is retained in READY stage.
    ACC-ON wire such as cigarette lighter wire can also be used as long as you don't turn on ACC-ON before powering up the Prius. ACC-ON must be cycled off before powering up the Prius if you choose to use the ACC-ON wire.
    3 - locate the PWR mode wire
    Instead of telling you which wire it is, I'm showing how to locate the wires from scratch. This method should also work with the Prius v.

Remove the shifter bezel

Disassemble the mode selector assembly by prying the lock tabs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Disassemble the mode selector circuit by prying the tabs and unscrewing 2 screws
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The circuit should look something like this
    [​IMG]

Circuit testing
    [​IMG]
    use a multimeter and set to resistance reading. Use the probes to test the SW3's terminals. This will tell you if the bush button has no resistors built in and it's a straight connection when the button is pushed.

Finding solderable locations if you don't want to cut any wires or make any connections to the harness.
    [​IMG]
    Using the multimeter again and use the continuity test. Probe the left terminal of the push button switch then probe each of the solderable points on the back of the circuit. Once you've found the correct solderable point, the multimeter should beep to indicate that solderable point and the left terminal are the same circuit. Do the same for the right terminal of the push button.
    For my Prius, the left terminal is T10 and the right terminal is T12.

If you don't mind T-Tapping wires, you can do the same test as above but instead of the solderable points, probe the pins of the harness plug.
    [​IMG]
    For my Prius, the left terminal of the switch is pin #7 and the right terminal of the switch is pin# 5. The wire colors on the harness is Green for Pin#7 and white/black stripe for Pin#5.

Make channels for the wires on the PCB cover
    [​IMG]
    Once you've soldered the circuit board, you'll have to cut the circuit board cover for the wires to route out of the PCB assembly. You'll also have to drill a small hole for the wires. If you use wires from a CAT5 cable, you should be able to get away with not drilling the hole for the wires however, you'll still have to cut the circuit board cover for the wires to route out of the PCB assembly.

Reassemble the PCB assembly.
    [​IMG]

Strip the wires and make your connection
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I use molex connectors for quick disconnect.

Finished wiring
    [​IMG]

Once you have everything assembled, use the multimeter and do a continuity test between the 2 wires you just made. The multimeter should beep when the PWR mode button is pushed. If not, go back and recheck your work.

Once you've verified all the connections are good, plug in the mode selector and the park harness and power up your Prius. Shorting the 2 wires you've just made should put the Prius into PWR mode. If not, go back and recheck your work.

4 - building the circuit
    You'll need 2 DEI 528T and a standard 12volt SPDT relay.
    [​IMG]

The wiring is straight forward. Follow the diagram and it should work. Everything is color coded to the 528T and the SPDT relay with harness. If there's no harness on the SPDT relay then follow the pin layout.
    If you can't follow the pin layout, you can follow the numbers printed on the relay.
    30 Yellow - Common
    87a Orange - Normally Closed
    87 Brown - Normally Open
    85 Black - Ground
    86 Red - Power
    If you connect the red wire to ACC-ON such as cigarette lighter, you can bypass the default PWR mode by turning on ACC-ON first then goto READY mode. Doing this sequence the second 528T will activate before the Prius will accept the PWR signal therefore will not enter PWR mode.
    If you connect the red wire to IGN-ON or READY mode, the only way to turn off the default PWR mode is by adding an ON-OFF switch.
    The 528T is factory timed to around 30 seconds so you'll have to adjust it accordingly.
    FYI, The 528T will accept a +12v as trigger on the black/white stripe wire by cutting the blue loop. However, The internal relay will only activate after the +12V activation signal has been removed. This will not work with what we're trying to do. This means that the delay timer relay will only start after the Prius has powered up and powered off. This is why it requires a SPDT relay to convert the +12V switched to -12V and use it to trigger the timer relays.
    The 528T in the middle of the diagram is the main delay relay to which the PWR mode will activate. Set this pulse timer to 1.5 seconds if you want PWR mode to activate as soon as you power up your Prius. Set it to 90 seconds if you want PWR to activate after the Prius has warmed up a little.
    The 528T at the bottom simulates the PWR button being pushed. Set this pulse timer to about a second or less. The Brown and Yellow wires are reverseable so it doesn't matter which wire you hook it up to.
    The PWR mode can be turned off and on during vehicle operation. The circuit is only active the first few seconds of powering up the Prius. After that, you have total control.
    If you have successfully done this mod, or built a circuit other than what I have, please share it with us. I would really love to hear how your mod turned out.

Attached Files:

#2 cproaudio, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Drive in EV mode all the time? Don't think that's possible considering how flaky it's regarding starting up in EV.

4. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    plugins can start in ev mode. i dont expect people to be interested in this mod like my other one.

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Crude/simple/inexpensive way- two 555ic's, one powered by the ign line- closes contact after ign goes high-then releases maybe five seconds later, the next 555 gets its power from a transistor/relay connected to output of first 555ic. When #2 555 gets powered- set timer for 2 second one shot pulse to output.

Like I said- crude but should work.

LM555 Timer Circuits

[​IMG]

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't get to select where I'm at with Power Mode -

I like Power Mode, sometimes. Lately, when in a hurry, I appreciate the extra response of Power Mode when leaving the house.

Most of the time I start off in Normal Mode, but it's good to know Power Mode is available. I wish the Power Mode switch was closer to me. Reaching to other side of shifter is not great. A Power Mode switch on steering wheel might be nice.

I don't like Eco mode around here. I like response from a gas pedal and Eco Mode is too unresponsive for my tastes.

7. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have seriously considered posting the 555 timer circuits. However, less than 1% of people on this forum can build 555 timer circuits. I want to show a simple way that anyone can do.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will take one of these modules once you have them available. If you offer a kit, I can build it. I have been an electronics tech since 1987.

Mike

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a very straight forward circuit once you work out the resistor/cap values for the timing. Looks like the 555 can sink or source a 200mA load (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEVpaF6Gf1hBUxV58aZ8kYrE4sn7g&cad=rja) from the output- perhaps that can power the #2 555 directly for an even simpler circuit since the 555 only draws 10-15mA.

Post the diagram- maybe it will motivate someone to learn a new skill :D

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No doubt. I can brew it up on my bench in a few minutes once I see that schematic :p Of course it will be a couple or so weeks before I could test it on my car :rolleyes:

Mike

11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @ cproaudio...

Have you looked at the actual wiring for the "power" mode switch?

Is is a SPST, is it logic level or 12vdc?

Wonder what voltage it takes to drive it to an "on" condition? Maybe we don't even need a relay on #2 555?

12. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    yes I've taken apart the mode selector switch. there's a spot where you can solder on the circuit board if you don't want to cut any wires. the switch is a SPST momentary push button switch. it's a straight short when the button is pushed.

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As in momentary short to ground of the sense lead triggers the "on" condition?

14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on cproaudio's description of the Power Mode switch, this fairly simple circuit using two 555 IC's ($1.99 ea at your local RatShack) a few diodes, two resistors, two capacitors and a small relay should (in theory) work.

I'll have time over the weekend to build and test the dual 555 timer circuit- unless someone beats me to it. Timer circuits were derived from here: LM555 Timer Circuits

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I built a circuit out of a standard automotive SPDT relay and 2 528T pulse timer relays.

The SPDT relay converts the ACC-ON's positive to negative that will be used to trigger the first 528T. The first 528T, timed at around 2 seconds, delays the second 528T's trigger til the Prius is in READY mode. The second 528T activates the PWR mode after the first 528T has timed out.
    The circuit was bench tested to be functional. I installed it into my Prius and tested it out. It works perfectly.

3 people like this.
  16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you post the schematic or sell me a kit? I don't have my car yet but it surely will need this option :p

Thank you,
    Mike :tea:

17. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ny_rob did you get a chance to build this circuit yet?

18. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Seems like a lot of work when all you really need to do is push one extra button after pushing the start button...and if you screw it up and fry a component I highly doubt warranty will cover it. Just sayin

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very nice proof of concept!

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't get it to work properly on the simulator (Circuit Simulator Applet) as is...
    It it fails because of the power up- power down that happens if it's run off the Acc line. If you want to permanently power it- a two (555) chip pulse sequencer would work (http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/timer_555_sequencer.html) but then you need a trigger line and output relay.. and you also have a permanent 24/7 10-14ma draw from the 12v battery. Take a look at the 555 sequencer on the Circuit Simulator Applet I linked above and you'll see that with an inverted input and N.O. output relay it would work 100%- but too many components involved IMO.

Probably better off with the simple two delay relay system you came up with. A hybrid delay relay + 555 timer circuit would work- but there's really no practical benefit over the two relay system other than saving a dollar or two by only using just one delay relay.

FWIW- I've been driving pretty much in "normal" mode for the past two weeks as a trial- and my MPG is still as good or better than "ECO" mode with better performance... and I don't have to push any buttons at start-up.
    I guess my main reluctance at doing this mod is that the plastics in my Five are so creaky already I'd hate to introduce new issues by removing dash components. It's a shame when you're kind of afraid to take apart your car because of fear of new rattles being introduced...