1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to make Power Mode the default driving mode.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cproaudio, Apr 11, 2012.

?
  1. 01 Yes, I want to make Power mode default

26.3%
  2. 01 No, I don't want to make Power mode default

12.4%
  3. 01 Yes, I'm interested in making Power mode default

8.8%
  4. 01 No, I'm not interested in making power mode default

14.6%
  5. 01 Yes, I'm interested in knowing how to make power mode default

19.0%
  6. 01 No, I'm not interested in knowing how to make power mode default.

5.8%
  7. 02 I drive in ECO mode all the time

24.8%
  8. 02 I drive in normal mode all the time

24.1%
  9. 02 I drive in power mode all the time

12.4%
  10. 02 I drive in EV mode all the time

0.7%
  11. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because it wastes gas

6.6%
  12. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because I have to select it everytime I power up

10.2%
  13. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because Normal mode is good enough

14.6%
  14. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because the engine sounds like it's gonna blow up.

0.7%
  15. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because ECO mode is too fast for me. PWR is warp speed.

2.2%
  16. 03 I don't drive in Power mode because it defaults back to other modes when powered up.

4.4%
  17. 04 I would drive it power mode more now that I can set it as default mode

10.9%
  18. 04 I would drive it in other modes even though I can set PWR as default mode.

24.1%
  19. 05 I love my Prius even more Knowing PWR can be set as default

22.6%
  20. 05 I look at my Prius the same as before even though the PWR can be set as default

16.8%
  21. 06 If it works, I'm going this mod.

16.1%
  22. 06 It's good to know that PWR mode can be modded to be the default mode.

25.5%
  23. 06 This mod is a complete waste of time.

8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am confused as to the purpose of this mod. I understand the car will default to power mode on startup but will it go back to normal or economy after a while or will it stay in power mode? I think it would be very useful if it could be designed in such a way that it would be speed sensitive. In other words, shift to power mode when speed drops below let's say 15 mph and out of it to whatever mode it was originally in after 10 or 15 seconds, or when car reaches cruising speed, say 35 mph or above.

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's the whole point of this mod so you don't have to push the PWR button. ebay has drive mode selector for less than $80 if I need to replace it. 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS PANEL BEZEL INTEGRATION CONTROL | eBay This mod is easier than installing fog lights.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's sort of moot as you should be gliding anyway at cruising speed, in which case it doesn't really matter what mode you're in.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, in any case a better/simpler fix would be via software hack- but no one has found that yet....

5. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree but I have yet to glide at speeds higher than 40 mph and when there are inclines or declines, cannot glide at all. I have also found that in power mode the gas pedal is just too sensitive to comfortably maintain constant speed without using CC.

6. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yikes. Strong work and all but sheesh...pushing the POWER button is about as much work as putting it into DRIVe.

7. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The number 1 reason people don't drive in power mode besides normal mode being good enough is that they have to push the PWR mode button every time they power up the Prius. If PWR mode can be selected as default mode, people would use it more. That's the whole purpose of this mod. Before I did this mod, I have never driven in power mode in the 1.5 years that I've own the car. After I did the mod, I drive it in PWR every day. The mileage hit is insignificant. Infact, some trips I get better mileage with power mode than with normal mode and way better than ECO mode.
    I have finished the diagram and updated post 2.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered a pair of those 528T modules today :)

Thank you for sharing the design.

Mike :tea:

9. The Swan

The Swan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

cproaudio, forgive me if this is the wrong way to send you a message. i'm new on here. just bought a 2012 prius four. would like very much to have power mode as default. i could get the three-button circuit board out, but never done any soldering. is there any source to buy some sort of plug-n-play module? or are you aware of anyone doing these modifications for hire via mail? could probably do some of the assembly myself with more novice-friendly instructions. thanks for any help.
    steve (the swan)

10. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My instructions were made before Priuschat changed to the new format. Once they changed, all the pictures got scrambled. Unfortunately, I don't have time to re-organize the instruction. There's a picture of the diagram. It's easy to follow. You don't have to solder the OEM circuit board, You can connect the wires off the plug. It's been a while since I done my mod so I don't recall which wires they are.

11. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Way better mpg's in power mode the eco mode, I'm from Missouri, show me

eco mode simply uses less gas, and power mode is entered by pressing harder on the gas, I fail to see how pressing on the gas saves gas;)

12. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You use more gas in eco mode because it takes too long in time and distance to accelerate up the desire speed. It decreases the distance to coast.

When in power mode, it takes less time and distance to accelerate to desire speed. It increases the distance to coast and regen break. Also during acceleration in power mode, due to huge power requirement, the ECU increases the electric assist but you'll gain the electricity back with longer distance to regen brake.

If you drive 1 mile between traffic lights and you use eco mode, you're probably gonna use about .2 miles to .4 miles just on acceleration. This decreases coast distance down to .6-.8 miles. Same distance in power mode, you're using about .05-.1 miles on acceleration and the rest are coasting distance.

5mpg for .05 miles and 99999mpg for .95 miles verses 20mpg for .2 miles and 99999mpg for .8 miles. Gas usage during both accelerations are the same but in power mode, you're gaining .15 miles of 99999mpg.

WE0H likes this.
  13. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Additionally, by running with a larger average throttle opening, you are reducing pumping losses within the engine, which does have an effect on fuel economy. I forget which automotive magazine did the experiment a while ago, however, the crux was a partially closed throttle plate was a big enough issue to cause a statistically valid difference in MPG between accelerating gently to speed and accelerating aggressively to speed.

WE0H likes this.
  14. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The difference between eco and power modes is the amount you press the pedal, err, if you drive in eco mode you can accelerate just as efficiently, effectively, if you press the go pedal, and then when you're at speed, you're also in eco mode, saving gas;)
    In power mode does the traction battery try to help as much as when in eco mode?, I think not...
    And you aren't bothered by pressing the power mode every time you start the car;)

ftl likes this.
  15. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Peeps, especially the new ones: PWR Mode does not make more Power.
    It just changes the ratio/curve of the gas pedal movement.

You all can save yourselves a lot of time and effort by just moving the toes of your right foot another inch when you want more POWER.

Full Pedal = Full Power.. No matter what you do with those silly switches.

Are some of you really messing with this while your car is on warranty?

ftl likes this.
  16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do what I want with my vehicles. Prius is so reliable that I don't worry about it ;) It was proven a while back that runnin in PWR mode all the time makes the car achieve higher mpg's than ECO mode. I have a pair of those timers and will install them someday when I get some spare time. Until then I push that button when I remember to.

Everyone has their own thoughts on things :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

17. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mike,

How is that explained???
    The car accelerates as fast, or as slow, as you command it to with your right foot,,, no matter what silly button is pressed.

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, trying to remember what was said... Something about accelerating quicker to get the car into the higher mpg numbers sooner rather than accelerating slow and keeping the low mpg numbers for a longer time. I know it works well on my car using PWR mode verses ECO all the time. At first I called bullshit but then gave it a shot on a few trips across town and seen on my scanguage that it was up significantly. I ordered the 2 timers required and have the schematic at home to whip up the module and harness when I can get to it. I still haven't driven my car since last fall :(

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mike and guys,

You said: Something about accelerating quicker to get the car into the higher mpg numbers sooner rather than accelerating slow and keeping the low mpg numbers for a longer time.

That is a function of your right foot. Not what silly switch you press. The switches only change the response curve of the throttle pedal.

There may be something to getting up to cruise speed and not spending a lot of time getting there.
    Similar to Jet aircraft getting to cruise altitude quickly.

But once again,,, That is commanded by your right foot. Those switches don't manage the power/fuel economy. Your FOOT does.

ftl likes this.
  20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes sense. I know how the car functions and pretty much know what has been experimented with since the 3rd Gen came out. Try PWR mode and record some data if you like. It works ;)

Everyone has their own way of achieving the same or similar results. To each their own :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717