1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to make the S Z tail lights light up when braking

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by kitkit201, Mar 12, 2016.

1. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So the tail lights in the back with the S Z styling only light up passively when the parking lights are on or headlights.

In the day time, the brakes are not bright enough imo. Is there a way to make the S Z lights come on with the brake lights ?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It could be done, but you would need to locate the proper wires in the wiring harness to the brake assembly and do some rewiring.

Another thing to consider is sometimes Toyota switches lights on the positive wire, and sometimes the switch is on the negative wire (floating ground, which I believe the front parking lights are on the gen 3), so you would need to determine whether the Z lights are floating ground before rewiring them into the brake circuit.

3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I gotta check that out. I thought the Z-Bolts came on with the brakes? That's the only reason I bought the car!

krmcg likes this.
  4. Jorin

Jorin Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    They don't. There is a small area besides them for the breaking light, right under the back light. Sorry. :(

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer. i would want those beauties on 24/7!

6. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, they look great - when I first saw a pic of them on here, I thought they were some jazzy add on, not stock! I guess they are on if sidelights are on? There's only a few weeks in summer over here when it's inappropriate to have sidelights on...! Tried the auto main beam - interesting to watch them work, but I think they dipped a little on the late side to be as courteous to other road users as I'd like.

bisco likes this.