1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to : Minimalist camping in a v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Emcguy, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some pics of our packing strategy from a current camp. Our high weight items are the esky (with ice), pantry (bag) and tent (2 room dome, 8 person). On top of that we combine the 'sink' and cutlery, bucket hammer torch. The 5 sets of sleeping bags, matts, pillows are stuffed around the side. Weight distribution is prioritised forwards then central. A small gas burner is used to cook.

Attached Files:

2. MichaelCM1

MichaelCM1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorta related question: Does the giant battery in this vehicle allow more use of the power ports for stuff like a powered cooler, TV or computer charger? I thought it could come in handy for use in tailgating, but I don't want to do something to ruin a car so I can recharge my MacBook Air.

3. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    It does have 12v 'cigarette lighter' in the front and rear and, as long as the vehicle is booted up, you could use it until you ran out of fuel (weeks). We generally use gas but others buy invertors and even use them to run there house during outages ie: Hurricane Katrina. It's more efficient than a generator is silent during Traction Battery discharge.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The power available from the 12v outlets is minimal and you run down the small 12v battery quick if the motor is not allowed to run in the "Ready" mode periodically. Usually a 800w or 1000w is the max off of 12v. Running the 12v battery down is not good. There are special high dc voltage inverters some have installed on their big traction batteries to facilitate large power needs like a home's emergency backup. See Using car as generator for house power | PriusChat

Emcguy likes this.
  5. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wired an inverter back of mine on the 12volt Battery. It's great for air mattresses sharing my 18volt tools, laptop, cooler, etc PS the only way to lock your car while it is Ready is to roll down the driver side window press the lock then close the window. Or get a Dog like mine to watch things.[​IMG]

iPhone ?