1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to move a dead Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dan N, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Dan N

Dan N New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone. I've got a 2007 Gen 2 Prius, 230k+ miles, that has been sitting for ~6 months in a garage (long story). I believe both 12v and main hybrid battery are dead - I get absolutely nothing in the car (no lights, etc..), and attempts to jump it has been fruitless. A few questions I would love some help on:

* Is there any way to start the Prius if in fact the hybrid battery is completely dead? I know I need the 12v battery to get the computer going, and if I'm not mistaken, the hybrid battery is then used to get the ICE to start, correct?

* Especially if the answer to the first question is no, no real practical way to get it started, how can I get the car into Neutral so I can push it out of the garage? I intend to sell it as is for parts, so I need to get some photos and simplify whomever will buy it to take it away.

Thanks in advance!

2. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    You could see if you could borrow a Prolong system from someone to charge up the hybrid battery. Might take some work.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhere within PriusChat I seem to remember some long ago instructions about how to release the parking pawl, possibly by applying power to it alone. But I'm not finding it with a quick search.

The other method of getting the car out is to do what tow truck drivers would do -- just drag it out. The pawl is strong enough that it won't be damaged. And it shouldn't be far enough to flat-spot the tires.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ +1. Pump the front tires up hard for a reduced contact patch, lay down a stripe of dishwashing liquid to lube the tire against the driveway and drag 'er out. It's really not that bad.

(lots of things work as lube here, but dishwashing liquid is cheap and requires little cleanup)

fuzzy1, edthefox5 and jerrymildred like this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Disconnect the old battery. It's likely what is drawing voltage down, preventing a jump from working. Either charge it, and give it a try, or just connect any old 'good charge' 12v battery to allow you to boot the car up. It may code out or it may not, but it should still let you go to neutral.

6. Dan N

Dan N New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Will likely try TMR-JWAP's last suggestion first, as I don't have any immediately available way to drag the car out of the garage...

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @fuzzy1, @Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, & @TMR-JWAP all have good ideas. Another possibility, since you're parting it out, is wheel dollies. That way you can just roll it in any direction to facilitate access to the parts you want to remove and you won't have to repeatedly power up the pawl motor to get it in neutral. And you can roll it sideways if you need to. It all depends on your plans, I guess.

donbright likes this.