1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usnavystgc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The edit is complete. Thanks for the suggestion.

2. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Schweet! I bought a factory new smart key off of e-pay for my 2005 package 5 Prius $109.00 delivered. Used your instructions, it took two or three tries to get it right but, Programed the key too full smart key functionality perfectly!! THANK,,,,, YOU!

BTW they're selling aftermarket keys at e-pay and charging the same prices the supposta be "Toyota" dealers at e-pay are.. I called the aftermarket guys because, it didn't make sense, should be cheaper than epay dealers prices, but anyways, I avoided them and any hint of aftermarket, just in case China messed em up. . And so, for this knolladge, I catiously inspected and double checked the key I'd bought to insure it was Toyota, Japan and not aftermarket too.

#262 Jeff54, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    usnavystgc likes this.
  3. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Aftermarket prius keys? Im in the key business and have never seen this or heard of. They have aftermarket exterior shells...The circuit boards have not yet been made aftermarket.

4. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's one of a few messages I sent to one of them (It takes a few messages, questioning them to get a direct question answered, verses generic responses) and their response. Based on the responses I gathered, and calling 1 yup they sure are, which means, serious Ka-Ching for em verses a real Toyota. But wait? When has China ever, not violated patent rights? LOL And or, most aftermarket parts have to be older than 10 years. 2004-2015 might have been the magic date.

And or, and OR >>and or, I'm of the cheapest, or lowest priced bargain hunters out there, I scower through ebay regularly, checking and double checking lowest price probabilities, member since they 1st open their doors as 'the auction web' BUT, I ain't buying a hint of a chance that a crypto-programming key is a friggen aftermarket part and suggest others be wary too:

To: am-autoparts
    Subject: RE: Details about item: xxxx sent a message about TOYOTA Smart Entry Remote Transmitter & Key Blank for 04-09 Toyota Prius #311067434941 [#9CF09J]
    Sent Date: Aug-02-15 07:43:49 PDT
    Dear am-autoparts,

I'm confused, it says everything you sell are after market, these smart keys are after market too?? And if so, then why are you selling them for higher prices than eBay's Toyota dealer who's in Florida? Or is the dealer on e-bay that has 3 different buy it now offers also selling after market parts?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Response:
    Hello,

Our aftermarket parts are made by a variety of manufacturers. The brand of the part you receive will vary, unless a specific brand is listed. However, we only send the highest quality parts that will fit and function just as the originals do. With regards to pricing, we can not be responsible for how others price their parts. We do not currently offer any form of price matching. All of our parts are priced as listed and are nonnegotiable. All of our customers get the same low prices, and we ship for free! Please let us know if there are any further questions or concerns.

Specifications:

• Brand New TOYOTA Smart Entry Remote Transmitter & Key Blank
    • 3 Button (Lock, Unlock, & Panic Button)
    • Built to strict quality control standards
    • Fits models with Smart Entry only

Thank you,

Michelle

AM-Autoparts
    Hours of operation:
    Monday-Friday: 8:00am - 6:00pm EST
    Saturday-Sunday: 8:00am - 4:30pm EST
    [/QUOTE]

#264 Jeff54, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  5. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know the top engineers(keys) in China by working with them and in person. Im telling you right now...CURRENTLY no aftermarket circuit board for the Gen2 prius. The outer shell was barely released a few months ago. I know because I helped them with the testing. Most items sold on ebay get tested by me before it gets mass produced. Thats why if you look at my page... ovnisf.com you will see items no one else has.
    99.99% of key sellers on the web/ebay are just buying stuff in mass quantity and reselling. They have no clue what they are selling. So if you email someone and start asking questions...they will start giving you generic answers.

Look at the answer they gave you...seems copy/paste to me...

6. dudestein1958

dudestein1958 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was having absolutely no success with the instructions as posted. I have a 2007 Prius 2nd Gen and heard they were harder to program. I bought an OEM SKS Fob off Ebay for $108 and felt safe it was new.

Getting the fob Transponder working was a breeze and it worked the first time. But I paid for a SKS fob and I WANTED MY Money's worth....dammit....

I found similar instructions on another website but they didn't work either. I noticed the differences between your instructions and the other sites. I tried variations until finally I got the fob Fully Functioning for full SKS use!

The differences were these:
    1- at the step when you press the Start button 3 times WITHOUT touching the Breaks - I instead kept my foot on the break and started the car, turned it off, started it and turned it off.
    2- Removed the fob, and the car locked and unloced itself 2 times.
    3- I pressed a key(Unllock) on the old fob, then pressed both lock and unlock simultaneously on the new fob.

about 10 seconds later the car locked and unlocked itself several times. I them pressed a button on the new fob. Suddenly both fobs started to blink continuously for about 10-20 seconds and afterwards the car locked and unlocked itself several times again.

Both fobs now worked fully. I think I accidentally caused it to program twice somehow, but I am NOT going to do it again. If it isn't broken...so to speak!

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. Papoon

Papoon New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me add to the chorus of "Thank Yous." I had pulled down other 'chicken dance' instructions and got close but you gave me 3 new clues that led to success:
    1. All of Procedure A: Hadn't seen this anywhere before
    2. Step 8: "the precise number of times the car locks/unlocks the door is model specific"
    3. Step 9c: "If you wait for a long time [...] and get no cycle at all, complete step 10 and test to see if the SKS functions of your new fob work."
    After Step 8 my locks (2004 Prius) only cycled once so I'd previously assumed an error. From these instructions I chose to push forward.

I did both 9b and 9c twice, but after 9c, nothing happened within 90 seconds. But, when I tested functionality afterward, lock and unlock worked, car starts, and locked doors open when I have key in my pocket and grab handle. That is, full SKS functionality on new key purchased (like so many others) from Daytona Toyota.

I had a dealer do this 3.5 years ago when another key was lost and paid $325 for key and programming; I like saving $215!

Thank you.

usnavystgc likes this.
  8. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got to try this today. Procedure "A" was not working for me. At the end of step 3 the red anti theft light was not solid, it was blinking. To be in programming mode the red anti theft light must be on solid.

I traced my problem to a sticky door switch! This could be the reason why some have so many problems completing the programming. Once the door switch was freed up the new fob programmed correctly. So when doing the chicken dance make sure that the door chime sounds when opening the door with a fob in the slot.

Brad

usnavystgc likes this.
  9. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What the best price of a sks remote gen 2 with shipping these days .were from thanks

10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm here to help with questions about the procedure but, that's something you can look up yourself.

11. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Purchase SKS remote for my wife prius 2005 that came with one remote.program first try use your instructions thank you.104.00 Daytona Toyota 1 week from the day I order it.

usnavystgc likes this.
  12. brichins

brichins New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just another testimonial for those worried about this procedure - I used the base instructions last night on my 2008 Prius and it worked perfectly, first try. I think I hit 'lock' once more at the very very end before the locks toggled again, but it does that any time you hit 'lock' while the transmitter is in the car.

I also found a video of the chicken dance here:

I did a lot of searching for a new SKS key as well, the best I found was $104 with free shipping from DaytonaToyota on Amazon:
    . Local Toyota dealer wanted about $140 for the key and another $30 to program it, but were willing to program a new 3rd-party key for the same price.

Even with the 2-3 hours I spent researching everything (which I enjoyed learning anyways), totally worth finding my own key and doing the 5-minute chicken dance to save $65 or more.

jackmccullough and usnavystgc like this.
  13. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great find on the video. Thanks for posting.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Long thread, anyone else had trouble with the first step of the process (Start/Stop)? I've tried multiple times with 2 different keys. Everything seems find up to the point that the flashing red icon appears to be in program mode, it blinks fast, then irregularly, then goes into a steady "normal" rhythm that never stops no matter how long I wait....it never goes black/blank. I've tried at least 15-20 times with one key, and at least 4-5 with the newest "silver logo" key I just got brand new online with similar results. Any tips?

Gonna have to give that a try.

15. KiwiMike

KiwiMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All,

I have 2 new black FOB's and both will not start the car after completeing the chicken dance as they fail at the end of the setup as the red blinking light flashes fast for a minute and then flashes slowly from then on. I suspect I have a full compliment of coded keys (5) and need to delete some from the cars memory. Does anyone have the process for this as I read in one post that this can be achieved without having the techstream mini tool (post was by rathore4u).

16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you check the battery in your old/existing fob?

17. Scott Lunt

Scott Lunt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This chicken dance did not work for me. I can't get past step 3. I do steps 1 and 2 (insert/remove, open close) then remove the old fob. This is supposed to happen:
    "Car is in fob programming mode at this point. Red anti-theft light remains on."

the anti-theft light is off. So, I never get to programming mode.

Help?

I have a 2006 with the original fob which works fine.

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try replacing the battery in your old fob.

19. Scott Lunt

Scott Lunt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I did that. I used the battery which came with the new fob. Both batteries work to unlock the doors. Does it have to be a brand new battery??

I also tried skipping to C (lock/unlock buttons) and that didn't work either - it never signaled I was in the proper "mode" by locking and unlocking twice.

#279 Scott Lunt, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  20. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unlocking the doors takes a momentary pulse from your battery, programming takes a sustained draw from your battery. If the battery is weak, it will not be able to sustain the draw from programming. That is the most common reason for the chicken dance not working.

The only other thing I can think of is that you're not executing the steps fast enough.

Scott Lunt and efusco,
    Can you guys do me a favor. Place your old fob in the key slot and try to start the car. Report the results to me (whether or not you're able to start the car).

Also, I found this post that may be of help to both of you.

strawbrad likes this.