1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usnavystgc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try searching partsfactory.camelbacktoyota got one for $103 and change. Free shipping after $150 (small box only), so buy some accessories like filters

SM-N900P ?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These keys are known as electronic transmitters

SM-N900P ?

SageBrush likes this.
  3. JDrake

JDrake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    google "mid atlantic toyota parts" and search for the part number in question (89994-47061).

4. 1984corvette

1984corvette New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just wanted to add another place to purchase a fob. I bought a new smart key online from north hills toyota in pittsburgh,pa for $108 shipped.not sure if non sks key is less.

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. 1984corvette

1984corvette New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update: program smart key this morning got stuck on step 9, tried a few different ways and now everything works great!! thanks usnavy for the info and your service to this great country.Also thanks to everyone else for all the great posts.Saved me a lot of money! Now i don't have to chase down my wives fob when i use her car."honey do you know where the key fob is? did you look on key chicken,my purse,the counter,on the car seat"ect ect..lol and yes i told her leaving the fob on the seat slowly drains the battery

usnavystgc likes this.
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you tell us where you got stuck on step 9. and what was it that you did that finally got it to work?

7. 1984corvette

1984corvette New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    operator error.. i had the order wrong when pressing the lock and unlock button at the same time. My 10 year old misread the instructions and i tried the new fob first then the old one.did that twice then reread and got it right the first time i followed the instructions. lol

usnavystgc likes this.
  8. Mike Zaisser

Mike Zaisser New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it sounds all well and good, but I've gotten two quotes here in Boston from Toyota Dealers, and they would still charge between $140-$170 for new Toyota fob. How would you get around that one? The programming part is cheaper....

9. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does your car have SKS?

10. beauxarts

beauxarts New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I failed. I replace new battery both.
    I thought old fob must be a silver logo key.
    Mine isn't

11. Lumpy05

Lumpy05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2008 with SKS bought used came with one remote with intermittent lock button issues. New key from camelback toyota, could not complete step 9. Checked batteries in both old and new key were low. About 2.8v, new batteries in each still no luck getting new key through step 9. Finally used tech stream software and got new key working. I think it may be the old key lock button that caused the fail? I did get the car lock/unlock feedback in 9a. Oh well at least the new key works!

12. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, this sounds like a stuck/defective button on your old fob. Glad to hear you overcame your obstacle. That's what this is all about.

13. furstanten

furstanten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2006 with SKS. Bought a new (unused, original Toyota packaging) fob off EBay for $105.
    Tried procedure B on this thread. Successful up to step 8 but could not program fob using steps 9a-9c. Tried alternate procedure detailed in post 16 of thread referenced on first post of this thread. This reverses steps 9a and 9b (9a - press both lock/unlock buttons on new fob first, 9b-press both buttons on old fob next). This worked with single door lock/unlock cycle almost immediately after pressing lock button only on new fob (9c).
    Also, could not get system into program mode in procedure A. Anti-theft light would continue to blink after removing old fob from slot. Solved by opening/closing driver's door faster.
    New key now has complete functionality.

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wonderful thread, but I have to admit the part that makes me smile is reading "chicken dance." LOL

Two thumbs up

usnavystgc likes this.
  15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What I can't understand is, Why is it that some can go straight through this procedure with no issues whatsoever and others have to take different steps or modify steps. I initially thought it had to do with the model year but, that has been proven wrong. I know when I programmed my 05, I went right thru this procedure exactly as written and, there were no issues at all.

If any future users of this procedure have problems on step 9, pls take the time to detail what the problem was and what you did to fix it.

I really do appreciate all of you posting your experiences.

Thank you.

16. SusanS

SusanS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am hoping you can help. I have tried this about 20 or more times and cannot get it to work.
    I own a 2004 (Generation 2) with SKS. Bought a new fob from dealer.
    Procedure A to start vehicle worked great.
    Tried procedure B on this thread. Successful up to step 8 but could not program fob using steps 9a-9c. Tried alternate procedure This reverses steps 9a and 9b (9a - press both lock/unlock buttons on new fob first, 9b-press both buttons on old fob next).
    I was unsuccessful. HOWEVER... For the 21st time, I rewrote the directions and planned to try once again.
    I wrote thus:
    1 DOOR
    2 SLOT 2x
    3 DOOR 2x
    4 SLOT 1x
    5 DOOR 2x
    6 in SLOT, close DOOR
    7 ON,ON,ON
    8. OLD FOB OUT
    (locks automatic)
    9 OLD FOB 2 BUTTONS
    10 NEW FOB 2 BUTTONS
    11 NEW FOB LOCK
    and I had SUCCESS!
    So I cannot tell you what I did differently than the other 20 times, but maybe I was faster? My advice would be if it doesn't work, keep trying.
    Saved $80 programming fee at a lock smith. They insisted that it was not programmable without their assistance.
    Also when I made fob purchase at dealer, I asked if they ever offered discount coupons for parts and they said yes there was one due out in March. I looked on my phone and saw that a 15% coupon was out and he let me use if from the phone. I paid more than some people here ($150 including tax) after my $25 discount but I am happy. A job that could have cost close to $300 cost half of that...THANKS to all who posted

usnavystgc likes this.
  17. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you Susan for sharing that and I do hope it helps someone else. I'm fairly certain that the speed you did it on the 21st time was the key indeed. It looks like the procedure as written is what did it for you so, that's another testimony to that procedure. I'm so glad you got it to work finally and that you had enough patience to stick with it. Good for you and I'm glad we could save you some money.

18. kuz

kuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm impressed by the instruction and all the tips! I bought a new key off ebay for $105 shipped and did the chicken dance. I did have to change the battery in my old fob (it worked well but I put a new one in it because it would stall on step 9 of proc 3). The process worked great! The remote has full functionality. I have a 2005 prius with black key. Thanks so much for all the tips! The cheapest I could find locally with programing was $195+

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    tried 32 times same results with sks,,,all goes well to 9B then NOTHING! i have 2008 with sks, Brand new batteries in both remotes,, i have no idea what to do now,, my wife and son have tried the dance also,,, sometimes it just makes me wonder if all this is not hope an pray!

20. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    same exact thing for my 08. really upsets me that sks doesnt , new batteries in both , old fob works great, the new silver back will not program for sks,,