1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usnavystgc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. exar

exar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of curiosity, how do you register a non-SKS fob so that the buttons work? Is it the same procedure for the SKS fob, except that the non-SKS circuit board wouldn't get a "car ID" burned in?

2. 08PriusXSJ

08PriusXSJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sounds so complicated an sorry to hear those troubles.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume that the same registration process would work. But I've only got a 2006 SKS Prius, and no experience with the non-SKS version. I can confirm that the non-SKS keyfob will not register on a SKS vehicle...(n)

The SKS circuit board is not just an enhanced version of the non-SKS circuit board. As I recall from 10 years ago, the non-SKS version uses a fully documented Texas Instruments chip, while the SKS version is some other company with no publicly available documentation. And Gen3 is entirely different than Gen2 - it doesn't have a transponder or use a keyslot.

4. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am unable to advance beyond Procedure A, Step 3. The red anti-theft light blinks after removing the old fob instead of staying on. I have installed new batteries in both the old and new fobs. If I try inserting the new fob with the red light blinking, then it does not stop blinking.

Suggestions please...

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try waiting a couple minutes longer for the lights to turn off

6. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was able to execute Procedure A by reducing the time intervals on the cycles. I was thinking this is old technology so it needs long cycle intervals. Such is not the case. Procedure B was a breeze after Procedure A.

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I appreciate RobH and JC stepping in to answer the questions. Although I know this procedure well, I don't know the ins and outs of too many things beyond that.

Thanks to both of you!!! :)

8. CheapSk8

CheapSk8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just successfully programmed a second Smart Key Fob using the instructions in the OP. I had to run through Section A 2 times and Section B 2 times due to my mistakes. Thanks so much.

Paid $89 on eBAy for my New unused Smart Key w/chrome logo

Thanks a Ton

usnavystgc likes this.
  9. WinstonW

WinstonW New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased a smart key fob on Amazon and used these instructions to program. I used procedure B, worked great! I did have to repeat step 9b twice - as indicated I may have to do in the instructions.

usnavystgc and gta_ like this.
  10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need to also do procedure A to program the transponder portion. It is used when the keyfob is inserted into the keyslot in the dash. Works when the keyfob battery dies and you lose the keyfob in your pocket function. Gen3+ (2010+) is different (doesn't use a transponder).

11. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to give this a try on my used fob. I don't figure it can hurt to try. If it doesn't work, I'll shell out the money for a new fob and program it. I'll update when I can.

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The black logo keyfob doesn't have a car-id programmed into it. I can't confirm it, but I suspect that you can reuse a black logo keyfob without all the games required with the silver logo version.

13. kevin3

kevin3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Works, thanks!!!
    Procedure A on the first try and procedure B on the second try had to hold lock unlock twice.

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. Bruce Van

Bruce Van New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Worked 1st time and completed in 5 minutes. Thanks for the instructions

usnavystgc likes this.
  15. StanFL

StanFL New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Part A failed and it took me a while to understand why. I had one key fob for our 2008 SKS Prius, and the shell got broken. I replaced the shell before I understood there were two kinds of shells, and loaded my elex and battery into a black keyfob. When I put the electronics into the new shell, I got my SKS functionality back. At the same time, I purchased from a dealer a new SKS keyfob so we could have two working ones. I tried to program it, but step 3 failed and the red anti-theft life just blinked. It actually just keeps blinking, for hours now. Nothing turns it off. I have tried Part A a few times, but then I noticed that the new shell inserted into the slot will not allow the car to start. So, I'm thinking there is some other difference in the shells than just the logo. I"ll order a new silver-logo shell, swap the elex again, and see what happens.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The shell shouldn't make a difference, it's a plastic shell

Try to disconnect the 12v negative for a minute to reset the car. It's probably stuck in programming mode

17. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a separate chip (the transponder) in the shell in addition to the circuit board. Hope you didn't throw it away with the old broken shell...

18. StanFL

StanFL New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks for the tip on the shell. Is there any easy way to disconnect the 12v other than digging around in the trunk?

19. StanFL

StanFL New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I didn't see any second chip in the shell. I'm looking at the parts now and don't see anything that looks like a chip. Just plastic. Can you be more explicit on where it is and how big it is?

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The trunk is where you would disconnect it. There's a 12v ground connection to the prius body, I guess you can disconnect that for a few seconds. Just need a 10mm wrench or socket