1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usnavystgc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

On Step 9a, you only have to press the lock button, you don't have to press both lock and unlock. If it registers, the locks will cycle 1 time

On Step 9b, the time frame is not the important at 1.5 seconds. I remember the first time I held both buttons for 5 seconds, it didn't work. I released the buttons and did it again and it worked the 2nd time around. If it registers, the locks will cycle 1 time, if it cycles 2 times, it just means the fob you are programming is not new and can't be registered to the car.

CatsAreGods likes this.
  2. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i am headed out to the car to try it NOW!

3. CatsAreGods

CatsAreGods Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm going to thank you again for that, because I was sure I was doing the "chicken dance" procedure correctly but it still wasn't working. From your description, I got the idea to press the buttons simultaneously twice in succession and that's what finally worked for me.

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm glad you were able to make it work. I think step 9b is where most people get stuck. But if you do the step twice in succession as you mentioned, it will surely work the second time if it didn't register the first time. The key is the cycling of the locks, it will cycle once if it correctly registers.

5. CatsAreGods

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    And now I have proof that new fobs from EBay can indeed work!

Nexus 4 ?

6. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    at9 a i push only lock on old fob , locks cycle,, 9b on new fob i push both lock and unlock simultaneously the red light on the fob comes on and nothing happens I waited up to almost 4 to 5 minutes I'm stuck at 9B

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't need to wait 4 to 5 minutes, more like 4 to 5 seconds later, try again.

SM-N900P ?

8. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    still trying nooooo luck! purchased new batteries for both fobs before i started all this. new fob was purchased from Toyota parts in Az. I am at a loss here to get the sks to work!

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So to confirm, on 9a you press the lock button once and you see the door locks cycle once;
    Then you wait a minimum of 1.5 sec and press both lock and unlock buttons together?
    If nothing happens, do you press both lock and unlock buttons together a second time?
    And still the door locks do not cycle?

10. KitaT

KitaT New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I bought a New Fob on Ebay from a Toyota Dealership. I was successful in programming the first part, but have not been successful on programming the lock/unlock/SMART part. As with most people, I am having trouble with step 9. After I pull out the key from the slot, the locks cycle once. I tried multiple versions and still no luck.

I tried
    1) Lock/Unlock simultaneously on Old FOB, then Lock/Unlock simultaneously on New FOB, then pressing Lock on New FOB. RESULT - TWO cycles
    2) Lock on Old FOB, then Lock/Unlock simultaneously on New Fob, then Lock on New Fob. RESULT - Nothing or Two cycles.
    3) Lock/Unlock on New Fob then Lock on New FOB. Result - Two cycles
    4) Lock/Unlock New Fob twice in a row. Results - Four Cycles
    5) Lock/Unlock New FOB twice in a row then Lock New Fob Results - Four cycles

I have pretty much tried everything. I emailed the seller just to confirm that it is new and they said they are only allowed to sell new items.

I changed both batteries. I compared all the numbers on the battery covers of both to make sure they match. Both have Silver Logos on the back.

I made sure the Key button underneath the steerwheel was not engaged.

I've got nothing else to do. I called around and all the dealers are charging $100+ to program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

From the point you left off, where you pull the key from the slot and locks cycle once.

1. Press the lock on the OLD fob, the locks should cycle once
    2. Then press the lock and unlock on the NEW fob for 5 seconds, if lock doesn't cycle, release and press both buttons again for 5 seconds.
    3. If locks cycle once, you've done it and it should work. If locks cycle twice, your fob is not a new fob from ebay. It won't register to your car because it's used.

12. CatsAreGods

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also remember when the locks cycle, that's lock and unlock: two click sounds!

Nexus 4 ?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also I forgot to ask if your car is something you've owned since new? If you just bought it as a used car, the car might already have 5 keys registered to it (the maximum allowed). If that is the case, you would need to have some of the registered keys deleted from the car. A MiniVci from Amazon would be able to do it.

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hallelujah I have my new fob after many times and much help here I have got the new fob to work I was stuck on step 9 there is some question as to how really to do this! I tried a number of different ways suggested here I have no idea what worked! I was sitting in the car so frustrated because after 35 or 40 times of doing it I could not get it to work, followed all the directions on here! and all of a sudden out of frustration I push the red panic button on my new fob the horn started blaring! I got out of the car stepped away from the car and the SKS was working perfectly! I had people read me the directions I read the directions to some folks and they did the chicken dance just to make sure that we were doing everything right. i was sitting waiting to go into church and tried it for two or three times again and then it started working must've been the presence of God in the parking lot that just made it work! thanks again to everyone here for the help!

usnavystgc likes this.
  15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wish you knew what made it work baldbubba (besides the presence of God of course). I'm glad it finally pulled through. :)

16. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you again for all your help!

17. mkgrayfox

mkgrayfox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently bought a used Prius that came with only one fob. I purchased a new SKS fob from Metro Toyota in Cleveland ($110). I had a problem doing the initial programming for starting the car, but saw another poster saying he had to do the open/close door cycles more quickly. That worked. Then I got to step 9b but did not get the confirming lock cycle after pressing both buttons on the new fob. I tried again a few minutes later, and this time got two cycles indicating the programming did not work. The next morning just for the helluvit I tried to open the car with the new fob and it worked!

A local locksmith cut the mechanical key for $2.50. I didn't even try to call a dealer, this thread saved me at least $100.

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

THIS WORKS,YOU JUST HAVE TO KEEP TRYING! HOWEVER IT IS NOT SCIENCE,, Best described as smoke and mirrors,, but it will work and you will save $$$ . God bless the guy that has somewhat got this figured out!

19. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    mkgrayfox,
    Please describe what you believe are two cycles. Two lock/unlock cycles means the lock went from unlocked to locked then back to unlocked (1 cycle) and from unlocked to locked then back to unlocked (2 cycles).

Many mistakenly believe simply going from unlocked to lock is a cycle and they count one cycle as two. It sounds to me like you may have made this mistake.

20. KitaT

KitaT New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my car used. Luckily, I have a friend that works at Toyota. He was able to fix it and he said the sensor for recognizing that the key was in the car was unplugged. Woot woot, it helps to know people in good places. Thanks for everyones help.

usnavystgc and CatsAreGods like this.