1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usnavystgc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You would be faced with a very expensive trip to the dealer to purchase a new key and get it programmed.

You can possibly use the three-button key to program another key that will start your car, but that is about all. It certainly could not be programmed to do the lock/unlock functions.

Your best plan might be to purchase a new key from your Toyota dealer and use the 'Chicken Dance' to program it so that you have two keys again.

If you have a good automotive locksmoith, they might be able to provide a solution that is cheaper than the dealer.

2. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for your help Dolj

3. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe you can add a key with Techstream if you have zero working keys, although I haven't tried this. I recall a post on here where someone said they had done this, but of course I can't find it now. :D

To see what type of second-hand key to buy, slide the back cover off your existing key and check the MDL code on the label. I guess you get European-spec Prius in Aus so the code's probably B21TA for a non-SKS key...but whatever it is, buy second-hand keys with the same code. I've bought three on eBay and from scrapyards this way - no duds yet.

4. PriusVala

PriusVala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks, I’ve been looking for a fob to use with Prius 2014 and I see very few options online. A year back there were multiple options on Amazon or otherwise but fewer options now. What’s the recommended place to purchase one these days?

5. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    eBay's probably your best bet...for example, this ad refers to an 'unlocked' key (by which I guess they mean a virgin key): https://www.ebay.com/itm/353703290175

You should go to the Gen3 Prius section to confirm this is what you need. ;)

6. PriusVala

PriusVala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Todd, appreciate your help. I’ll check on Gen 3 forum as well.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  7. Diamond321

Diamond321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I never had the smart key for my 2004. I just recently purchased a smart key from Toyota for $170 shipped. I had purchased a Toyota/ lexus obd2 quick reset tool (4d key programmer) USA $24.99 on EBAY for my lexus. Didn’t work for my 2007 es350, but it did work for my 2004 prius. Now I have the keyless entry/start function.

jaw444 likes this.
  8. anothertckt

anothertckt New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, referring to this tool that doesn't list the 2004 prius model?
    toyota / Lexus OBD2 Quick Reset Tool (4D Key Programmer) USA Seller Top Quality
    Thanks

jaw444 likes this.
  9. Diamond321

Diamond321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes

10. darbeenbo

darbeenbo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi I am attempting to add a fob I got off amazon (MOZB31EG) to my 2005 prius. The original key is silver, the new one is blank on the back. I was able to get it working starting the car, but after completing step 9 and hitting the lock button on the new fob, the locks cycle twice.

11. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A friend gave me a used key fob with the SKS silver logo on the case that is the exact same model as the one I got with my 2007 Prius that also has SKS functionality. I have read through most of the posts in the 35-odd pages that make up this thread and I did not see much information on what needs to be done to it in order to be able to program a used key fob. I read a reference to “re-seeding” the used fob and some mention to a automotive locksmith but can anyone tell us exactly what this means? I see a link to a “refurbished” key fob for sale on eBay on this very page……..Does a used key have to be “blanked” or otherwise modified or reset somehow? I am curious to know why a used fob is so difficult to reprogram by a user. I

#691 Michael Crestohl, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    jaw444 likes this.
  12. Prij1

Prij1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Suggestions please. I read thru the first few pages but I have to admit I do not have the patience to read this entire novel!

- 2007 Prius.
    - Silver logo.
    - New key fob from Amazon seller USA Remote Store.
    - Earlier fob from same seller was successfully programmed for a different Prius.
    - This time, I completed first set of steps and new fob can start the car.

At the remote/SKS steps, 9b always cycles lock twice which seems to mean the programming failed. No lock at 9c.

- Batteries are at 3.08 and 3.14 volts.
    - At 9a/b I tried original instructions as well as new fob first or only lock button or going as fast as I could.
    - 15 attempts so far.
    - The new mechanical key does open the door and the fob starts the car.

What next???? I got his car for my 80yo father in law and don’t feel comfortable handing this over without a fully functional spare. Much thanks for any suggestions!!!

#692 Prij1, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    jaw444 likes this.
  13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try the attachment to this post on the previous page (if you haven't already). Just a suggestion, don't go too fast nor too slow.

14. Prij1

Prij1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that link. Tried it. Didn’t work. Only difference seems to be at 9b where you don’t wait for the lock to cycle and instead go immediately to 9c pressing the new lock button.

15. Shaun OBoyle

Shaun OBoyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm stumped. 2007 Prius, just bought the silver logo fob from Toyota dealer. New batteries in both fobs. Went through the instructions and all seems to work well during programing, after step 9C the lock cycles when I press the lock button on the new fob, but when I finish (open and close door), the fob doesn't open or close the doors. SKS doesn't function. I've been through the process about 10 times, with the same result. Any suggestions?

16. Diamond321

Diamond321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Check the button under the steering wheel.

17. mattinnc

mattinnc New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Were you able to get this resolved? I have the same issue. Benn through the procedure a few times and it seems to work, as the lock cycles on the new fob, but when finished it does not work the locks.

18. rogerdpack

rogerdpack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For step 3 you may want to mention the light goes "solid" red. I...think that you have to insert the new fob before that changes and it goes to blinking mode? Maybe also want to mention that for 9b there is no response from the car...for 9c might want to mention you hit unlock "once" then wait, just to make it more clear. May want to add an 11 on how to test that it worked? For 9c could mention that failure may mean you are trying to program a "black logo" fob in an SKS, which works for the engine start but not door open (metal key still works) :) Thanks, it worked! :)

19. Name:

Name: New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just purchased a 2009 Prius from a government agency. It came with two fobs (chrome logo), but they dont work. They start the car when inserted, so I think the fobs are original. I went to the local dealer and they quoted $185 to diagnose the issue and additional $185 to program the fobs. Also the cylinder inside the lock is seized so I cant even use the regular key. Anyway, I learned the dance and can now activate the add mode, but what do I do next, without a working fob? I saw a youtube video where a guy in a right hand drive prius does the dance and then hits the buttons seemingly randomly on ONE fob, and it pairs with the car. Has anyone done it?

20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you saying the buttons on the FOBs will not lock/unlock the doors or that they will not let you start the car while they're in your pocket?
    They work in the slot because the RFID chip inside the case activates the permissive "signal" for the car. As long as that RFID chip is what was programmed to the car, it will function just like the SKS system. Don't forget that the SKS system can be deactivated by the KEY button on the dash under the steering wheel. Check that. Button "out" activates the SKS, button "IN" deactivates it.

And don't forget to put good quality 2032 batteries in the FOBs. Not some Harbor Freight crap.