1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usnavystgc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Name:

Name: New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Correct, fobs only start the car, and only when inserted. 2032 battery has nothing to do with that feature, it works without the battery! So the fleet was able to use those fobs and coathanger the doors open when locked out :)

Yes the under the steering wheel button is out. In fact, after Ive been messing with one fob it started to blink red when I get close to the car, and the button when engaged turns off the blinking. And the car picks up signal from fobs when its in add mode.

I remember reading somewhere that the power button presses determine the add mode. 3 presses one mode, 6 presses slightly different mode, etc. I am trying to find that read.

2. Name:

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    PRESS POWER button to switch ignition ON (amber LED illuminated) and OFF (do NOT depress the brake pedal during procedure).

DO this ONCE to retain existing remotes programmed and ADD NEW remote..
    DO this TWICE to ERASE all existing remotes programmed and ADD NEW remote.
    DO this THREE times to CHECK how many remotes are programmed to the vehicle.
    DO this FIVE times to ERASE all existing remotes programmed.
    ===========================

In my case, one power button cycle (three presses without applying the brakes) activates the programming mode, the lock-unlock lock-unlock, and then whatever I do with the fobs produces the same lock-unlock lock-unlock response, but does not program successfully.

Two power button cycles does nothing.

Three cycles showed four remotes.

Five cycles, all four were erased, or so I understood.

3. Name:

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Is there a meaning in how many times the car locks-unlocks upon entering programming mode? Maybe one lock-unlock cycle is a go, and two cycles is a no go?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the method you're trying to use to program a FOB. Having never heard of these 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x cycles, I wouldn't mess with it, especially when you're mentioning erasing all keys if you do it 2x, but then checking for how many keys are programmed if you do it 3x? There's plenty of proven chicken dances that have been performed. I can certainly guarantee you that a weak FOB battery will create havoc when trying to program.

If the sks hasnt been working for a while and coat hangers were being used, then the problem is deeper than a fob. Have you checked if the sks function will work at passenger door or at the hatch? Will the interior light turn on when you walk near the car?

#704 TMR-JWAP, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  5. Name:

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No and no.

I confirmed by watching some video that lock-unlock lock-unlock is a sign for no go, as opposed for one lock-unlock. I also learned that there is a proximity / smart box that has to be reset prior to programming fobs without an existing good fob and people do it with scanner looking tools through the OBD port.

Now that I think of it, the clock was off when I picked up the car. I think they were disconnecting the 12V battery to bring the speedometer display back to life (a widely covered issue and solution) and this might have effected the SKS features of the fobs.

6. Armando Zapanta Jr

Armando Zapanta Jr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    this worked great for me. found a seller on amazon and got keys for the silver logo on back and this worked perfectly. thanks for the info.

7. emmy

emmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Confirmed working (first try!) with a $65 eBay silver logo SKS key, fully functional! Thank you so much <3

8. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Great thread, I followed the chicken dance to program a black logo fob for my 2005 that has SKS (which works perfectly with my original chrome key). However while the black logo fob now unlocks to doors, it will not start the car, inserting it does nothing, and I did turn off the SKS. Ideas? TIA

9. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My understanding is that using the quick reset tool you reference will program whatever key is in the slot, however if you act quick you can add another key? Mine is a SKS vehicle and I’m just trying to add another key, only a cheap black logo key…

#709 Ernie stires, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2023
  10. Jules71

Jules71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this referring to something the locksmith needs to do? What is the procedure exactly? They recently were not able to get the buttons on the fob or prox sensor for the doors to work. Thanks!

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is probably a reference to clearing out all old key registrations (as all keys are lost) which is the first part of the procedure for an "all keys lost" situation. The next step is to seed the system with a new authentication code and then add the "key in hand" to the system.

To get a seed code, the operator needs to hold the prerequisite certification (authorized automotive locksmith) to access a seed code.

Jules71 likes this.
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... which you have been told multiple times will not work. However, the distinction between a black logo and a silver logo only applies to OEM fobs. For aftermarket units, all bets are off. I'm not even sure an aftermarket fob could have a Toyota logo on it but who knows? Some of those Chinese suppliers are pretty loose with the rules.

For what it's worth, the back cover of the fob (which carries the logo) will just as easily slide on either type of fob so when buying second-hand be careful.

In previous posts, you say that you have managed to get a black logo fob added to your SKS car such that it will start the car if the fob is in the slot and also that the remote buttons on the fob work to lock and unlock the car. While the first part is true, that can be done, the second part is not possible with a genuine Toyota black logo fob. So something does not add up there.

I suspect you received a silver logo main unit with a black logo rear cover slid onto it, but it was not a new (never added or attempted to be added) one.

For $185 you can avoid all the shenanigans by buying a real McCoy SKS fob (~$140 for non-SKS) from one of the many online Toyota dealers and having a competent authorized auto locksmith add it to your car.

#712 dolj, Apr 2, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  13. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got stuck on this part for a long time. I kept doing it twice so that I would notice something. Then it would do two full cycles and no response from the single lock press.

I read many times that two full cycles means that the fob was used before and can't be programmed. This wasn't true for me, just that the procedure failed.

After holding both buttons on the new fob for a couple seconds, nothing should happen. Then press the lock button once and you'll see the led flash, then it will succeed.

This video shows it best

14. DrewG13

DrewG13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    We had 1 fob and lost it, how do we get a new 1? I imagine dealer only. It is my son’s 2008.

15. Tom E

Tom E New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Just wanted to report my own experience with the Chicken Dance, because things worked slightly differently for me at the very end. This was using an aftermarket key fob bought on eBay. Everything worked exactly as you described until step 9b. At this point I found that I did need to execute twice (as you said was a possibility), but then the locks cycled TWICE instead of once, indicating the programming had not worked. Even after finishing the procedure as directed the fob was not functional.

I played with this mutiple times before finally finding what worked. After getting the double cycling of the lock system on step 9b, I pressed both buttons AGAIN and got the desired single lock cycle. I then pushed the lock button and waited to hear the lock cycle again....and waited....and waited. After about 90 seconds with still no lock cycle I opened and closed the doors and tried the fob. It worked!

I hope this is helpful. I followed the directions and tried (and failed) at least a dozen times before I finally decided to get creative. If not I'd still have an inoperative fob.

kmsbanr likes this.
  16. mandichka

mandichka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My experience programming a new FOB, bought from dealer:

After spending an hour trying different machinations and timings, I tested the battery in the new FOB - battery was completely dead. Replaced the battery and had the new FOB working in minutes!

Thank you for your service usnavystgc. Nearly 10 years since you posted and it is still serving the community.

sarahs likes this.
  17. Prius1mil

Prius1mil New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Procedure C step 12 said too many keys are programmed. Is there a way to remove keys?

18. Prius1mil

Prius1mil New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have done the chicken dance and was able to program two keys to start the car but not able to program to lock and unlock the car. When attempting to program key to unlock doors. It locks and unlock twice or three times. I understand this to mean too many keys programmed. They are silver back key for second gen prius. Is there a way to unassign/remove key fobs myself?

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I seem to remember someone posting that they worked out a chicken dance to delete all keys from the system except the one he was currently using. You would need to search the Gen 2 forums for that post – which would not be the easiest of tasks.

I could also be wrong, and they may have used Techstream to do that function. There are more posts where people have done that.

Just to confirm, your car has SKS (Black buttons on the outside door handles).

20. Prius1mil

Prius1mil New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base