1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to program features - scan guage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Basildane, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

I would like to make some adjustments to my model 5 Gen 3.
    Specifically, the headlight timeout of 30 seconds.
    I already had the dealer change the reverse beep, but I can't keep running back to him everytime I want to change something.

I have not been able to find a document online listing all the hacks and mods. Is it possible to change all this stuff yourself?

Can the features be changed with a plug in scan guage or something like that?

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Other than the few items that owner instructions are provided for, I haven't heard of anybody that's found a way of changing the other customization items listed in the owner's manual. On the TIS site, it says the dealer needs to connect the car to some proprietary Toyota system to make the changes.

3. Basildane

Basildane Junior Member

I checked out that toyota computer when I picked up the car.
    I just hoped you could use a scan-tool to set the codes yourself.

I saw on this forum how to change the door lock settings, so I assume you can change the other stuff too. Maybe not.

I sort of remember back when I got my 2005, somebody did a nice write up of all the hacks and how to change them. I remember changing the reverse beep, adding the EV mode, and some other stuff the first night I had the car.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would like to learn how to do this as well.

Toyota uses the same tool to change items. It’s a laptop running Win XP with a USB based OBDCII connector. They do use custom software but the end result is codes sent over OBDCII.

If someone had a bus analyzer they could capture all the coded and results.

1 person likes this.
  5. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just installed my scan guage II and I really like it. I could not find any way to change the programming but you can check for codes and reset them, if needed. The thing I like, is the way I can moitor 4 things at once. I am watching RPM, water temperature, battery voltage (12v battery) and miles per gallon. The miles per gallon follow the sliding guage next to the speedometer very closely, BUT it reads up to 9999mpg. I was sometimes running down the road at over 1000mpg. The rpm is interesting because you can see when the engine is on or off. It also varies all over the place. When I am accelerting and it sounds like the engine is racing it is really around 3500rpm. It sounds like the squirrels are being over worked, but it's not as bad as it sounds. The voltage is 13.5-14.5 volts. Pretty boring information unless something is wrong. Water temperature is very cool because you will notice water temp values change dramatically. The auto climate control kicks the heat on right at 105 degrees. If I am sitting at a light and the engine is off, the water temp drops as low as 175 degrees. The normal range for highway is 188-198 degrees. It would appear there is a 195 degree thermostat in the engine, after watching this guage.. The one thing that surprised me is the MPH guage. My portable GPS says at 70mph my car indicates it is going 72mph. The scan guage says 70mph. The scan guage reads the computer and gives an accurate speed. Somewhere between the computer and the speedometer there is a 1.5-2mph increase which really stinks. I find myself setting the cruise at 72 because I know it is 2mph off. The other cool thing is there are 63 possible back light color variations. I was able to adjust the color to match the other guages. I ran the cable behind the dash and through the space between the dash and the steering column. I mounted the unit on the dash so I can see it throught the top part of the steering wheel. You only see a small portion of the cable and it is right in front of you. I cover it with a small black wash cloth so no one can tell it's there. I used the velcro that came with the kit. It was $159 and worth every penny to me. The trip features are really neat too. You can calibrate the scan guage II trip functions seperate from everything else. There is no installation, just plug it in, set it up and you are done.

2 people like this.
  6. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, I have the scan guage II and I could not see any way to make those kind of changes but the things you can monitor are really cool. Mine is on everytime I drive down the road.

7. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  8. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very informative, can you possible take picture ? I am considering the ScanGauge II

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just be aware that the "Xgauges" developed for the gen2 Prius
    [see the several threads over on CleanMPG] won't work on the
    gen3 and that research into an updated set basically hasn't even
    begun yet. It's going to take a whole wad of reverse-engineering
    and likely some updates to the Scangauge firmware itself.
    _H*

10. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't tried to program my own functions through the Xguage feature because the ones that showed up, when I hooked it up, were the ones I was interested in. I monitor RPM, MPG, Water Temperature, and Voltage. It works great. A fun fact I noticed is, the engine stays runnig around 1000rpm until you slow down around 40mph or less. I have been cruising along at 35 mph and thought the engine was on until I looked at the scan guage. I ran a couple of miles at that speed with the engine off.

11. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    rachaelseven is in a world of her own...her and her shady software hookups...(ok, I'm just jealous, sue me)

12. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Found techstream :) Now I just need to order the cable and I can play...ahh...good times are ahead... img_0028.jpg

13. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What cable did you get and where did you get it from?

Thanks!

14. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mongoose MFC, made by Drew Technologies. I ordered it direct from them, but I'm told it can be found for less on eBay.