1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to properly put 2013 Prius in storage for the next 6 months ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Happy35234, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Happy35234

Happy35234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Manual did not have long-term storage information

2013 Prius
    * Full tank of gas
    * Recent oil change
    * In garage with driveway
    * Snow tires on. I'll drive much later this year when there is snow. Should I put on summer tires on while in storage ?
    * Cancelled auto-insurance due to being laid off:(

I'll drive in the next 6 months. I would prefer to save the full tank of gas by not running the engine. Do I need to add a fuel stabilizer in the tank?

I have a 1.8 W 125mAh solar panel battery maintainer (Blue Planet brand) that attaches to the 12V socket. Should I use it ?

#1 Happy35234, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My concern is with the warmer temperatures, the winter tyres get softer and thus the sidewalls may not be able to hold up the car while it's parked for an extended period of time. If it's possible for you to get it done on your own with little to no expense, I'd switch out the winter tyres and put on the summer tyres.

In any case, I would pump the tyre pressure up to close to the sidewall maximum because your car won't be driven. Of course remember to deflate them back to normal pressures before you start driving (maybe leave a note on the dashboard or somewhere where you'll see it before you drive off).

If the car is in the garage, the solar panel battery maintainer won't work, will it? Alternatively, you just take the 12V battery out (but you'll lose radio station presets and may have to re-initialize the auto up/down windows and moonroof (if equipped). @Mendel Leisk will have some helpful tips about 23V battery maintenance.

A car cover (if parked outside) helps but make sure it's tight over the car so that animals can't get in and nest or shelter.

6 months should be ok (as long as it's in the garage will reduced temperature swings as opposed to being outside on the driveway).

As for the hybrid battery, before you park it, make sure it's neither full (7 or 8 bars out of 8) nor empty (2 or 3 bars). It usually likes to sit somewhere in the 3/4 mark according to the Energy Monitor (about 6 bars out of 8 bars). That's about 60% real SOC.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it's really going to be 6 months hiatus, maybe charge up the 12 volt, then disconnect the negative cable. Lay something over the hatch latch in the threshold, to prevent it locking, which would necessitate a crawl through the car later.

I'm kinda sceptical though, about your 6 months. If you're not sure about it, just keep the battery on a smart charger, one that can be left on indiscreetly. IIRC Owner's Manual recommends 4.2 amps max charge rating? CTEK 4.3 works for me, it's on more than off these, these days in particular.

pjksr02 likes this.
  4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, don't close that rear hatch (door) if you disconnect the 12V battery! I'd vote to disconnect it.

I'm a fan of fuel stabilizers and personally would use one as cheap insurance.

Any way you can put the car on jack stands, to preserve the tires?

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't do anything, because the 12V socket is disconnected when the car is powered down.

To do anything, it must be connected to any always-hot point, or directly to the battery. But don't do this if the car is parked out of the sun, because some solar panels (actually all of them, unless an appropriate blocking diode is included) have a bit of reverse leakage when dark. This would accelerate battery drainage.

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I figured you bring the 12v battery indoor to keep it room temp and charge it once a month to bring it up to 12.7v.

pjksr02 likes this.