1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to put Gen1 Prius into Neutral with dead battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 3prongpaul, Jan 5, 2013.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but if you need to put an 01-03 Prius into Neutral with dead battery (i.e. to push the car so you can reach it with jumper cables) you need to remove the rectangular panel on the bottom drivers side of the steering column. It's tiny, smaller than a postage stamp. Use a strong pen-knife or very small screwdriver to pop the panel out.

You may want to remove the panel when things are good, so if you ever have to use the gearshift release you don't have to hunt around for a knife since it's on pretty tight from the factory. (just leave it off once removed).

Once panel is off stick a finger into the hole and voila, shifter will move into neutral (or any position) without power.

BTW, Gen2 Prius (2004-2009) use a fully electronic shifter. No easy way to get car into neutral without power.

LDT08, slimfrancis, scotman27 and 2 others like this.
  2. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good info to know!

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another thing you can do when things are good is try whether you can reach the release lever without disturbing the little panel, just by squeezing a finger around the end of the column shroud. I tried that when I first got the car and, with my fingers at least, it's not a problem, as long as I don't mind the indentation left on my finger by the plastic shroud.

-Chap