1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to recharge your traction battery While in drive mode

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Pdxprimeguy, Apr 25, 2019.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From a $$$ perspective, it might make sense, but from and efficiency perspective, probably not. As of right now, in our particular case , $/mile is about the same between hybrid and EV. Normally, charging from home is about 40% cheaper per mile, but as you pointed out, gas prices are currently low.

2. thymara

thymara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Things I don't know. How efficient is plug-in charging? I know the capacity of the traction battery but how much electricity is actually required to fill the battery according to the electric company.

Since DC charging in charge mode is ~ twice as fast as AC plug-in charging does that mean that the cost of gas to charge is actually cheaper relative to plugin charging assuming that, based on rates, the costs are equivalent (obviously not true in all cases, only this special case)?

Watched the .81/100 km video. Highway driving, especially on single lane roads at half or less than the speed limit, should, at a minimum, get you a ticket and in some places could result in road rage and even death. The information gained appears to be so impractical as to be useless.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't use CHG mode to charge the traction battery, but instead, I use HV mode to charge the traction battery. In my routine ~18 miles commute trip I can gain up to 10% of SOC.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Charge-Mode for using up winter gas (haven't filled the tank since February) is a unique situation.

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not disagreeing, just adding: There are very few cases where CHARGE mode is more efficient than just using HV mode. You are burning gasoline either way, but in CHARGE mode you are using the gasoline engine to turn a motor/generator to produce electricity to charge the battery, and the charge is later used to move the car via the motor/generator. Two conversion losses. In HV mode, you are using the gasoline engine to directly move the car, with some of the energy being used to put energy into the battery, to help keep the gasoline engine running at its peak efficiency. Unlike electric motors, the efficiency of gasoline engines depends a whole lot on their speed and load, and HV mode helps keep the gasoline engine operating in that "sweet spot", and be turned off altogether otherwise.