1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to refill refrigerant.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vallesj, Aug 22, 2024.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you look on air conditioning cooling charts and all that sort of stuff you will see a target temperature for the outside relative humidity and outside temperature being in a range and so on In most cars where it's real hot if you've got 54° or colder air coming out of the vents you're probably in pretty good shape most of my cars are pushing like 46 something like that seem to be working fine I'm sure they're not overcharged if anything they're a tad under The electric compressors the minute you get a little bit overcharged if you're into any of this at all you can hear the compressor start to load up and chug almost like a freight train at that point you just give up a few shots out your yellow hose if you have a reclaimed setup you can shoot it into there 134a a couple shots into the air never going to hurt anybody so there you go and then like I say in your vehicle depending upon where you are and the kind of driving you do lots of bouncing the car around and whatnot You're going to need to top off about every 18 to 24 months If you run the air regularly Mobile systems and systems like this are allowed to leak and allowable amount there's data on this all over DuPont's site and other sites this is just part of the use of gases whatever they are refrigerant or otherwise so there is an allowance that is allowed You're shooting for nothing but you know there is a tolerance o rings gaskets people not connecting the gauges the same way all that stuff leaves room for something to escape even if it's minute.

2. vallesj

vallesj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So yes, it is fine that way, and I can check probably a year later if need to add more. But If I got balls to try the "train-chug" compressor behavior; the hose I got from walmart only connects to L, so it is there where I may need to press it to let escape the small, but still allowable by EPA gas?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I'm using manifold gauges so I can see the high side and I've got a valve that allows gas to escape and for other gases I have this thing that turns the gas into a liquid and all of that like I said I just run it up until a thing just barely starts to labor two shots out leave it all connected running about 20 minutes Make sure everything is smooth and nice no funny business and this is being done on a very hot day preferably