1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove air bag panel under the steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thomassster, Feb 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    So I know first you remove the kick panel (take out the nut) which exposes the bolt so you can remove the left buttons bezel and panel. The lower cover can be removed by the two screws. Then there is the air bag panel (don't know what that panel is called) under the wheel by the driver knee. I'd like to run some wires behind there and zip tie them neatly. I see some tabs that are hooked in from the bottom which those are easy to unhook. But on top of the panel is hooked in? from behind the panel. That appears impossible to unhook out. Anyone managed to remove this panel?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, and I followed the step-by-step, illustrated instructions in the Repair Manual (more info), starting with Vehicle Interior: Interior Panels/Trim: Lower Instrument Panel: Removal.

Even if you’re planning to remove only the No. 1 instrument panel under cover sub-assembly, and not the airbag assembly itself, I’d strongly recommend disconnecting the negative (–) terminal of the auxiliary (12-volt) battery, and then waiting at least 90 seconds, before starting work. An inadvertent airbag deployment with your head or neck nearby could cause grave injuries.

See the other SRS precautions in the Repair Manual; for example, any airbag assembly removed from the car should be kept with the deployment side up, so it won’t become a missile if it detonates unexpectedly.