1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove an OBD2 cable??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stormz, Oct 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Feel REALLY stupid asking this, but....

I plugged in an OBD2 cable (other end is usb to laptop running techstream... which didn't recognise the car anyway, but that's another issue)... and, try as hard as I might, I can't pull the damn OBD2 out of the Prius connector. I'm scared I'm going to pull the Prius connector off with it, it's so damn tight.

Is there a catch to push in on the Prius connector? I can't feel anything that sticks out (or in).

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It should be just pin friction. Try prying one edge, without pushing your pry tool in too far, to where you contact a pin.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not normally, should just pull straight out. Maybe a pin got bent when you plugged it in and it is now jammed in? Would explain why you couldn't connect to the car too.

The QA on some of these knock off cables leaves something to be desired.

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some of them have a clip built into the short edge of the trapezoidal-shaped connector that I have heard some folks trim/break off to prevent it from grabbing. It hasn't been a problem for me, but I worried about it the first time or two I used the cable. That said, I think the bent pin suggestion is another likely cause. Good luck and let us know what you find.

5. William Corsini

William Corsini New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Four
    I used a cautery to cut the clip off the short side of the cable plug. Used a mirror to see what I was doing. No amount of force worked. Dealer also could not remove. Now slides easily.

Bill