1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove center console cover

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by KG Smith, Oct 7, 2015.

1. KG Smith

KG Smith New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello - I have a 2013 Prius 2 and have found that the most comfortable position for my back and shoulders happens to be with the seat fully lowered. I also find it much comfortable if I am able to rest my right elbow freely.
    I've a;ready removed the center cupholder (super easy - just pulled it out but cannot figure out how to remove the center console cover.

In this Prius, the center console cover does NOT slide. It is attached to the console by two big plastic hinges but there is no apparent screw or clip to remove them. The underside of the cover has a few depressions but not screws or clips. The rear of the center console is smooth.

I've googled a lot but most of the reference appears to be to the pre-2013 models where the center console cover was slidable. I believe Toyota changed the design after 2012.

Currently I am driving with the cover held up. The hinge appears to be rigid enough to keep the cover in the upright position except when I brake suddenly. I am sure I am damaging the hinges by keeping them upright and, frankly, it's not pretty.

Any help would be appreciated,

Pic 1 - cover in upright position
    Pic 2 - rear of the center console - smooth
    Pic 3 - view of the hinges
    Pic 4 - the latch that locks the cover to the cupholder

#1 KG Smith, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, great write up, thanks!(y)

3. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    U figure it out yet?

4. Accordlayingkit

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just pull off this rear piece then you'll see the piece on each side I circled. There kinda tough to get out and be careful if u use pliers as they could break the flat pieces off a little bit... I broke a little piece but nothing major. Once u get them out u can remove that lid. More pics in my build page at the bottom in my signature.
    Screenshot_2015-10-09-22-08-26.jpg

Screenshot_2015-10-09-22-07-51.jpg

PriusFruit likes this.
  5. KG Smith

KG Smith New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I looked at your site - all I can say is WOW!!!. Thought I'd take a quick peek on my phone while in a meeting - bad idea!

Thanks also for the tip and great pics. If you don't mind, how did you pull off the rear piece? I started at the top with my fingers and it started coming off easily from the top but then wouldn't budge from the middle downwards. I was afraid of putting more force. I also thought about using a flat screwdriver with scotch tape around the tips but hesitated.

Thanks again.

Accordlayingkit likes this.
  6. Accordlayingkit

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Haha if I remember correctly I just ripped it off. Maybe try pushing the sides towards 1 another and try to pull off then?

7. Asfandyar

Asfandyar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have removed the console and repaired it it but I don't know how to insert the pins again. They r too hard to insert and Im afraid Ill break them. If U can plz tell Me the procedure.

8. Asfandyar

Asfandyar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did it and I think that is the best way to reinstall the pins as in this manner they can be easily installed and will also be tight at their place.
    I rubbed the edges as shown in the pics, with a file, to make them smooth.

Attached Files: