1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to remove clear plastic radio LED cover to clean ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rexington, Jun 5, 2014.

1. rexington

rexington New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Need to remove the clear rectangular plastic LED cover on JBL non NAV 2011 Prius Three stock head unit. It has to be cleaned on the inside portion so removal and reinstallation is the only way. I assume it is attached in a similar way to iPhone screen cover so heating it with a hair dryer then a suction cup might be the method. I'm looking for the right way to do it by someone with experience. THanks !

2. rexington

rexington New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know but have to assume that it is a full face plate and not just a screen cover.
    If that's the case, it probably is bolted on or snapped into a retaining ring and may be attached to the head unit and not the dash.
    I STRONGLY urge you to NOT experiment before you know for sure what it is and how it is mounted.

A Toyota dealer or stereo specialty shop should be able to help with information.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. rexington

rexington New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So Mike are you saying the clear LED cover is held by clips ? Does the faceplate have to come off or any other part of the dash ? I looked at the wedges and I know what they are good for I just don't have a clue of how to do this job even by your reply. It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could produce step by step instructions on how to remove, clean, then reinstall. Thanks !

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Friction locked tabs are a very common way that panels and bezels are held onto plastic housings. The method has virtually replaces screws since the assembly process at the factory is greatly simplified in the amount of labor and time involved as well as very little fatigue on the assembler.

Place the soft wedge in the crack on the edge of the bezel and lightly apply steady force. The piece will almost always pop off.

That's basically ho it is done.