1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove foam inserts from trunk on 3 touring?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by mlbex100, May 2, 2017.

1. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you lift the trunk cover to reveal the spare tier, there are three black injection-molded foam 'inserts': one over the spare tire and two on either side. The one over the tire just pulls away, but the two on either side are fastened to the metal floor with these odd connectors, and I can't figure out how to disconnect them without damaging them.

They're OK around town, but when I travel, I like to take my toys with me, and that's a lot of wasted space. I could just pull and break the foam, but no, I want to reinstall them for everyday use.

Can someone tell me how to disconnect and reconnect whatever those things are that hold the foam inserts onto the sheet metal without damaging them?

Thanks, mlbex.

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That helped, Thanks. It didn't really say how to get them out, but it looks like you have to just force them and know that they might become unusable.

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, that about sums it up. Although I searched, I couldn't find the thread I remembered. Good luck with the job. (y)

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the Repair Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com), under Vehicle Interior: Interior Panels / Trim: Roof Headlining: Removal, the suggested procedure is: “Using a screwdriver with its tip wrapped with protective tape, while pulling the deck floor box LH [or RH] as shown in the illustration, turn the clip to remove the deck floor box LH [or RH].”

“Deck floor box” is Toyota’s term for the foam inserts, and the illustration shows pulling upwards at the outer (farthest from vehicle centerline) edge of the insert, as you turn the fastener with the screwdriver.

RCO likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are some threads on modifying the inserts and even swapping out the inserts level 3 with level 4 no spare. Not sure if we have any removal instructions.

Apparently both Level 3 (w/ spare) and Level 4 (no spare ) have the depression for the spare tire in the sheet metal bottom, so it's just the insert that's different (for the most part, based on 2016 model).

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And leave the spare at home? (n)

8. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I got 'em. After talking to the Toyota parts person, I took a big screwdriver and lifted. They popped up one by one. No turning anything, just upwards force. I put a piece of plywood over the spare, threw a carpet over it, and got about 4 inches more vertical space.

Also, the driver's side back seat comes out easily, creating a bit more room. I got all my toys to fit.

First road trip yesterday. It handled the twisty mountain roads gracefully and got 54 mph (indicated, not measured)

Mambo Dave, kithmo, krmcg and 2 others like this.
  9. PriusOffroad

PriusOffroad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    krmcg likes this.
  10. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is my understanding that the foam in the rear cargo area of the Prius is there for rear accident absorption. If you remove it, a rear end collision would be more severe to the point of puncturing the gas tank and/or causing a fire in the lithium batteries under the rear seat. It is there for a reason and pulling it out makes the car unsafe in a rear end collision. I wouldn't take it out under any circumstances.

11. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find this hard to believe. Do you have any link with substantive proof to support your theory?

I have compared both the foam from both spare and no-spare Prii. I can't see any significant attempt in either design that would indicate anything that supports your theory, but for sure, I'm willing to be proved wrong.

It is my understanding that the only thing that offers structural protection in a collision would be carefully engineered sacrificial structural steel/aluminum, not styrofoam.

Mendel Leisk and krmcg like this.
  12. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't find anything definitive. I think I read some random comments in the past in these forums that it might serve this purpose.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it's just filler, to keep the hatch floor from collapsing?

krmcg likes this.
  14. PriusOffroad

PriusOffroad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats a pretty bold statement to make based off of reading it somewhere in comments. Considering this is held down by plastic clips the chance of this giving any horizontal structural integrity in the event of a collision is slim to none. I would also be willing the bet the bolted in steel angle iron cross braces would provide substantially more impact resistance than the foam. The foam is there to support the rear hatch.

krmcg likes this.
  15. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    When you write that you lifted, do you mean from the edge of the foam, or you lifted upon the plastic fasteners?

I just placed the order for a used, but in great condition, Gen4 Prius wheel to use as a spare (full sized aluminum - I have places to be). I'm going to have to take that foam out, source a jack, and a tire.