1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Remove Gen1 Prius Engine

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by nimblemotors, Oct 15, 2021.

1. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I created a youtube video on removing the engine/trans from a gen1 prius.
    Hope this helps someone.

ammdb and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. War_Destroyer

War_Destroyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    would you know the torque spec for the spark plugs? I bought a four pack of Denso 3324 SK16R11, but I have no info on the torque spec. Car now has 61K miles, according to the maintenance schedule spark plugs should be done at 60K it seems...

3. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    never changed plugs in any of my prius....in all other cars I just 'snug' them tight.

4. War_Destroyer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Two of them have just showed in my local salvage yard, is there anything you'd recommend you'd recommend I take from them?

5. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    If they is a chip key, you should take the Immobilizer box and the lock cylinders, can sell them on ebay around $200.
    I want the o2 sensor connector that is under the floor that goes to the cat...I don't seem to have one that I can find, but otherwise a new cat for the prius with that connector is $100.
    The electric water pumps under the inverter.

Speaking of the inverter..when a gen1 showed up at the picknpull, I asked how much for the inverter, and its not in the pricelist,
    and I said can we just call it the engine computer for $50, and they said OK. So I went to all the trouble to remove it,
    brought it up to the pay window, and got another person who 'checked with the manager', and came back and said its "$500".
    I went ballastic, NOTHING on their pricelist is over $200, cussed them all out, called the manager a coward donkey, come out here and tell me its $500 so I can punch you in the face...etc, and vowed never to return. Well I returned, and I stole everything I could fit in my pocket when I went in. In retrospect, I should have put $50 down on the counter and walked out with it.

The transaxle has value, hard to remove, and you have to check if the price as a transmission or a $500 one..

The dash vent cover, its probably already broken..

All I can think of at the moment.

6. War_Destroyer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I went to the salvage yard! One Prius was in good condition, the other was completely trashed. The good Prius had this key in the ignition! Does that mean I should go back and take the lock cylinders and immobilizer? When you say lock cylinders, you mean I need to take the door and trunk ones as well? I'd appreciate if you have instructions on how to do that. I don't know what tools or where the immobilizer even is.

The dash vent cover was in one piece so I brought it home! Nothing broken at all, all clips in place! I thought I was being clever taking the entire unit, but the lady started charging me for the navigation, stereo, bezel, vents, temperature controls. I left the navigation and stereo portion behind hahaha. Came out to $65 for the rest, with individual warranties for each part even though I didn't ask for it.

I totally forgot about the o2 sensor connector you wanted, but when I go back for the lock cylinders and immobilizer, I'll get your connector and as much of the wiring if it's available.
    20211022_123819.jpg 20211022_123808.jpg

7. War_Destroyer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Here's a picture of the plug and hole you can use to pop open the trunk.

Oops, wrong thread.
    20211022_132741.jpg

8. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    sweet! the vent covers are hard to find and remove without damage, good job, and great the key was in it,
    so yes get the immobillizer and perhaps just the lock cylinder from the ignition.
    There is a pin you press in and it just pulls out with the key in.
    The immobilizer is under the dash pad just left of the steering wheel, almost about 2/3 way back.
    I should have a photo I can attach. I use a oscillating tool and cut open the dash to get to it. fast and easy.
    Also need to undo the connected to the key ring, but take the whole key ring too. Undo the plastic around the column, and you'll see the bolt that holds it in and the connector that goes back to the immobilizer. More later.

Attached Files:

#8 nimblemotors, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021