1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove hard water from windshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by manoosie, Nov 19, 2012.

1. manoosie

manoosie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2004 Prius recently, and there are water outlines where the windshield wipers work. I looked up the tricks online, and tried white vinegar. No luck. I went to the next step and purchase very fine steel wool (#0000), but that doesn't do anything to it either.

Any tips? It is driving me crazy. Thanks.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...keep trying with vinegar maybe soak rag and lay it on there to give it time to react. But possibly there is permanent damage to window.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A housemate long long ago had success removing hard water spots with jewelers rouge. But he didn't mention wiper scratches. I've never used it, so don't know the caveats.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know if this would do what you want, but I have successfully cleaned lime and chlorine stains off of glass using "Lime Away". I am not saying it will remove the lines you are talking about, but it won't hurt to try it. I would not recommend spilling the product on your paint, as it might damage the paint.

Ron

5. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    when all else fails, focus on hypermiling.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This product is also known as "CLR", and it removes calcium, not chlorine... do be careful around your paint, and your skin for that matter.