1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove lost SmartKey from programming

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by m8cca, Feb 7, 2011.

1. m8cca

m8cca Junior Member

I just lost one of my SmartKeys on my '06 Prius. Trying to find an economically solution to my problem and how gone through many of the threads on this forum. Seem like the options are:

1. Get a brand new keyfob. And follow instructions on this thread to add it:

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

Seems like there are a couple reference of success stories in that thread. Can anyone confirm?

2. Get a used smart keyfob. Have to be programmed at dealer/locksmith with the more expensive "seed reset" procedure to gain smart/entry function.

3. Get any smart/dumb keyfob and use in slot to start car + metal key for entry with programming instruction above.

I am leaning towards option 3.

I have the following questions which I can't seem to find answers for:

1. How do I ensure the old key is removed from programming? In case someone "found" my old key I don't want it to be able to start my car or worse trigger my siren remotely and locate my car to gain access. Does it require a "seed reset" at dealer?

2. If I add a key for slot start only and later lost my other smartkey, would it be able to add a smart key back with just the non-Smartkey? I saw some mention of ppl losing both smartkeys and the extensive trouble to get car reprogrammed. I want to make sure I am protected from that with just the non-Smartkey option.

Thanks!

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I think of it as being a dealer visit to add or remove keys to the car. Might as well do it all (add new, remove old) in one go.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To remove the lost Smart Key, you need to visit the dealer, have them clear all of the fobs, and add back any still in your possession.

Tom