1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove/replace center console lid

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by rlindaup, Jul 30, 2021.

1. rlindaup

rlindaup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I need to remove and replace the center console lid of my 2014 Prius V - part #58905, including the hinges and mounts. (A previous owner broke the lid hinges - I've epoxied them several times but the repair just does not last long.)

From what I can see in the parts diagram, it appears that the lid assembly is attached with two screws from the underside of the console.

Can anyone sketch for me (or point me to a YouTube or other site) how to get at how to unmount / mount the console lid? Does the entire console need to come out - or are there bits that I can remove to get at the lid assembly mounting screws?

(If it's hugely difficult to unmount the lid in this way, I wonder if I could saw thru the existing mounting screws and simply glue the new lid frame in place. Or maybe I pull out my wallet and have the dealer empty it...)

I hope it's not a stupid question and that someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks, RL

Attached Files:

2. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I have a 2013 Prius V, and I went outside to try it.

The Console lid has a plastic bar on the front and back of the hole of the storage compartment. The lid hinges are part of this plastic molded bar. Each bar is held in place with self tapping plastic screws with Phillips heads. You need to gain access to these screws from underneath.

This actually quite easy. All of the plastic clips can be removed using finger or hand pressure. There is very little risk of breaking any of these clips, unless you decide to pry with a screwdriver.

1) To access the screws for the front hinge, you need to remove the cupholder panel along with the EV/ECO/PWR switch. Sit in the driver's seat. Press the far edge of the cupholder hole with your thumb and the far edge of the panel with fingertips. Now rock this panel back and forth. It may be kind of stiff, but the plastic clips will release after a minute or so. Persistence will work, force will break clips. Once removed, just lift the assembly out of the way (don't bother to disconnect the switch). With a stubby phillips screwdriver, you should be able to reach around to the two screws to remove them from the bottom of the front hinge.

2) To access the screws for the back hinge, you need to remove the console back. First, sit in the seat behind the drivers seat. With the lid open, grab the top of the back edge of the storage compartment hole with your right hand. With your fingertips, pull upwards on the outer cover of the back of the console. The two clips on the top of the back panel should give pretty easily. There are three plastic clips running down each side of the back panel. Chances are the top clips on each side will pop off when you pop the top clips. Working your way down, wiggle the remaining clips loose. You will now have access to the two phillips head screws holding the back hinge piece.

Replacing the panels is really as easy as lining up the clips, and giving the panel a whack with the palm of your hand.

I made a video on my phone of this process, but I could not figure out how to get it out of my phone for editing.

burrito likes this.
  3. rlindaup

rlindaup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Gromittoo, thank you very much for your response (and for taking the time to try it yourself, and then to write such clear guidance)! Regards, Rob L

4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are welcome.

I had just done a tutorial post about mounting a soap dish on the front of the console to hold a phone mount. That meant I already knew how to remove the cupholder panel. The back panel took me 10 minutes to figure out.

5. rlindaup

rlindaup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again for your help! Following your instructions, I was able to install the new cover with no trouble. Regards, RL

6. Taffer

Taffer New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Heya! Sorry to resurrect this thread, but this is the closest I've gotten to useful info so far in my searching. I have a 2013 Prius V (unknown trim level), and I'm wondering if it's possible you would have advice on just removing/replacing/upgrading the actual cupholder in the cupholder/button panel your advice here explains how to remove? I for the life of me can't find a good water bottle and travel mug that fit into it! It's weirdly smaller than any other cupholder I can find.