1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to replace a broken side power window glass only?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cbs4, Feb 4, 2015.

1. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Amazingly nothing on youtube, no results on first five pages of google, and no results on first five pages on prius chat. Any more specific, and I get no results period.

I know that I'm not the only one who has had their car window broken by thieves.

I've already got the door panel off (video on youtube). And, I've watched a video about replacing rollup side glass on a GMC truck/suv. But it would be far better to see something Gen II Prius specific, so I don't break anything in the process, including the replacement glass, which I also already have.

Does anyone recall any links, stories, videos, tips, tsbs... anything that my clearly wanting search skills have been unable to find?

I"m sure others would benefit from any how to information. Smash and grab burglaries in communities where the Prius is popular (Berkeley, San Francisco) are reportedly up to record highs. I lost a lot in the break in, and cannot afford a glass installer. I picked up the replacement glass at a junk yard, but it was already taken out (no pick and pull yourself allowed there), so I couldn't practice on the junk car.

And now the rains are coming tomorrow! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

apt5020 likes this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  3. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Sorry. I included the info before, but I accidentally posted my original post in the Prius V forum. When I joined Prius Chat, I had the newest Prius. Now, I see it has moved down the list quite a bit! Anyway, I reposted here, and forgot all the details:

2006 Right Front passenger door glass

Thanks for the link, I'll get busy and start reading it right now!

Ok, that document is excellent, but I ran into a couple of snags, where they reference looking at page 76 -19 and page 76-21. Do you happen to have a link for these reference pages?

REMOVE FRONT DOOR BELT MOULDING (See page 76–21)
    REMOVE FRONT DOOR WINDOW MOULDING REAR (See page 76–19)

#3 cbs4, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You don’t need to remove either one of these. That manual is written as manual for replacing bare door so it has lots of unnecessary steps in it.

Basically you remove door panel, and vapor barrier (service hole cover). Then plug switch back to the door. Roll window to correct height. Remove two screws and glass. And then just put it back together.

#4 valde3, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    cbs4 likes this.
  5. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Oh, so I don't have to remove the guiding gasket around the perimeter of the upper black door frame ?

(The felt rubber part hat the window nests inside of when rolled all the way up)?

And I don't have to remove the speaker? I wasn't looking forward to drilling out rivets!

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don’t think you need to remove any of those.

7. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have the same problem as the guy who posted this thread, originally. i printed out the pages described and it's tough for me to follow, but it looks like I have to remove items 1-5 and item 8.

When I get to Step 13:
    Insert a shop rag inside the door panel to prevent the glass from being scratched. (a) Driver’s side: Connect the window regulator master switch. (b) Passenger’s side: Connect the power window regulator switch.

I don't get it -- what am I plugging IN? what do you mean "Plug switch back to the door?" Shouldn't I be UNplugging stuff? And how am I to roll window to correct height when it's a power window?

Thanks in advance!
    Paige
    2005 Prius

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When you remove the door panel you will unplug and remove the electric window switch with it. Then you will remove the switch from the door panel and plug it pack into the door. Then you can use it to control the height of the window when removing and installing it.

You need to be able to control the height off the window attachments since you need all the possible room to get the window out of or into the door (that’s actually the hardest part).

If you need to remove window in the junkyard from car without the 12v battery you can connect the motor directly to the separate battery (electric drill battery for example).

Paige likes this.
  9. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Valde, thank you, I get it now! The old glass is shattered so there will not be any trouble getting it out but I see I may need to move the regulator up or down so the 2 bolts appear in the service holes and I can get those end pieces out. I think.

I am scared about putting the new glass in. It looks like you have to wiggle it a bit and a YouTube video I watched said any stress on the glass could cause it to shatter. I'd appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks again for your help!
    Laurie

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have never actually replaced the class on Prius. Probably you need to lower the window regulator all the way down to get extra room then get the class into the door and then you can get it back up to correct height to tighten the bolts. Manual that I linked in this has illustration on how to put the glass in. Normally front is a lot easier to put in than back because of the shape.

Paige likes this.
  11. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, I have removed some of the door parts, including part of the arm rest. But I can't get the switches unplugged. I'm not sure which part to unplug: the whole white part, or the top of the white part. (see picture)
    There are two switches, one for the power window and one for the power lock. I tried to disengage them but I couldn't get them apart. Should I try with pliers? (Here's the link to the photo if it doesn't show up: WP_20160115_013 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

[​IMG]

12. Logangogarty

Logangogarty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you finish this project @Paige ? I need to replace the glass on the front passenger side. Today I took off the speaker, door panel and then removed the shattered glass and used a shop vac to suck out all of the broken pieces. I'm waiting for my new glass to get here but it looks like it just bolts onto the window tray in two different places.

13. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry I didn't receive notice you had posted Logan. I did "finish" in that I got the glass in. I haven't put the door back together yet, though. Hope your project worked out!
    Paige

14. Ian2008

Ian2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was reading this forum as I replaced my front passenger door glass (vandalism incident). This project is not that hard as the comments above ultimately seem to indicate. I would watch a video about removing the door panel on a prius (found two or three of these on you tube for both front and back door panel removal). Remove the top half (merely as much as needed) of the vapor barrier. Plug the window roller-controller switch back in and roll the window down about 4 inches from its highest position (the position it was in when your window was smashed). Then, use a "combination" standard wrench to unscrew the bolts on the two plastic parts that connect the metal bracket to the glass itself. Pull those out. Shop-vac the glass that fell into the inside of the door. Drop the new glass into the door where it's supposed to go (drop it a little low to make sure it gets placed in the track correctly), make sure the bracket becomes connected to the plastic connectors (which are basically glued to the bottom of the glass) properly by sticking your hand inside the door. This is the one tricky part: put the left-side (provided you're doing the right-side door) screw in place with your hand, then, pull your hand out and get your wrench again, put your hand back in and tighten that screw. Check the window again for full proper functioning by using the controller switch. Put the door panel back on. Go drink a beer and watch the game. -Ian

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, nice write up, thank you!(y)

16. Raokindness

Raokindness Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. Igoryan

Igoryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,
    Sorry for replying to an old thread.
    Just had my car broken in to, driver side front, so I made a detailed video how to replace the window.
    I'll reference it here, maybe will help someone.