1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to replace cabin air filter 2013 Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by leokun, Jan 19, 2014.

1. leokun

leokun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear my Priusan, After I drove my 2004 Prius over 179,000 mile. My suggestion to my girl friend to buy new vehicle for her newly graduated daughter was Prius C. Indeed, She bought a 2013 model last spring. Yesterday, When I made a trip to airport for dropping her off. I drove it back about 35miles to home. A/C ON makes terrible smell. Immediately I suspect for condition of cabin air filter from my experience from the past. After I switched it back and forth of recirculation switch. I am pretty sure it is involving with. Now I tried to reach it. But I can not figure out how to take grove box rid with out giving a damage. Even it may not there behind a glove box (my wild guess). Folks giving me an good idea?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The smell might not be from the filter, it just a plain paper filter that catches leaves and debris. The carbon filters will do a little better in filtering smells. However your situation might be your AC coils that needs cleaning. You can tell it's your AC coils if the smell goes away after the AC gets cold, the smell is only there when you initially turn on the AC. Since the car is 2013 and should be under warranty, I would bring the car into the dealer and have to address the problem. Make sure the AC system hasn't been running so they can note the smell once they turn it on.

The cabin filter in the regular prius is behind the glove box, I would think the C would have it at the same place. Open the glove box and squeeze in the 2 sides and let the glove box drop down. The glove box is quite flexible on the sides so you can easily squeeze the sides and drop the glove box to access the filter compartment.

leokun likes this.
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    [​IMG]

leokun likes this.