1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To Replace Fender Liner?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by anonymous283, Feb 8, 2022.

1. anonymous283

anonymous283 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just got quoted 1300 to replace my front driver side fender liner because all the attachments to the front bumper are broken off and they want to replace the entire front bumper which looks brand new. I want to try to do this myself and looking for guidance here.

This is the fender piece:
    https://www.carparts.com/details/Toyota/Prius/Replacement/2016-2018/RT22210012.html?TID=gglpla&origin=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=11728992700&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxoiQBhCRARIsAPsvo-zWJdWOtcONPxyKZHZaLhSJ7AM7qdICMdnM44JP4SqmI6siZRwka8IaAgY4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

These are the clips:

My plan is to drill tiny openings into the inside lip of the fender and use zip ties to connect the liner to the front bumper. Are the parts linked all I need and will my plan work? Appreciate any help.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really - you're on your own when you do that sort of thing - having done it myself on a Mazda 30 years ago. It was hit by a concrete letter box:rolleyes::rolleyes: - no not me. But it tore the bumper attachments on one side - and I managed to get it re-attached with only one screw noticeable from down very low. Took a few hours and a few clips and reinforcing.

Pulse07 likes this.
  3. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The front wheel well liners are something we might want to keep an eye on, especially for those in rough winter climates. The attached pic shows my 2020 right front looking forward. These 2 clips let go after catching some ice. Can anybody link to a video that shows how these clips work? I think when you loosen the screw they lift up and rotate off the quarter panel tab....but I'd like to see it. Thanks!

In any case it looks easy and cheap to remove and replace.

Attached Files:

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On 3rd gen there’s sim fasteners, which you turn 90 degrees to release.

there’s also one push-in fastener with a screw at rear centre, that I’ve never managed to remove; think you need to destroy and replace. The screw comes out easy, but the push-in bit has a flange that traps the liner. I’ve removed sim on rear wheel well, but the front one confounds me. I resort to fox an’ grapes ; leave it be.

Michael Wood likes this.
  5. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The angle of the photo wasn't dimensional enough to tell if the finder liner is still attached...

To remove and install fender liner will require you to remove rim and tire of the car..

Turn the slot of insert to vertical then pull it out the clip..

Fender liner goes in between the clip then reinsert the clip and turn the slot horizontal..
    Just be sure all the holes are lined up, you should have no problem put everything back together...
    To help install, there are clips you can get for few dollars, it also with removal tool. Drilling holes and zip ties are not necessary..

Screenshot_20220215-175919_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think the best way to move forward on your DIY replacement is to pull the old one out first. Than you'll have a somewhat better idea of what you actually need to fix the car.
    It's not rocket science, but it can be confusing to try to give useful directions, as some of the linked parts might fit and might not. The fenderliner linked above looks like the one I pulled off my Primes drivers side a few months ago. But a good pic of your fender liner removed from the car and a pic of the connectors to the bumper (that's not what I recall them being connected to) you're talking about in the OP would get much better results for advice where to start and what parts you need and what parts you don't.

#6 vvillovv, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would cut a piece of 1/16 inch thick aluminum to match the shape of and to replace the torn off pieces of the bumper backing the remaining existing flange and rivet to the plastic bumper using 3/16 inch large flange aluminum pip rivets. Then, I would drill 1/8 inch pilot holes in the aluminum, where the plastic rivets fasten the bumper. Instead of plastic rivets, I'd use self tapping sheet metal screws backed by large flange neoprene washers to fasten the liner to the bumper.

The neoprene flange washers could be purchased on Amazon.

For me, I enlarged the 7mm holes that took the plastic rivets and replaced them with M6x1.0 rivet nuts. Then, I fastened the liner to the rivet nuts with the large flange stainless steel washers with M6 stainless steel screws.

This will provide you with the longest lasting solution.

8. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry I scrolled right by your post and pic while replying to the OP above.
    The best way I can describe those two screw clips on the front wheel liner is that they are alignment clips and are the first clips to set in place when installing the liner. They work like the gen 3 sim clips @Mendel Leisk describes above. On the Prime they are attached to the liner and slide over tabs on the fender, than you turn the screw a half turn and that kinda tightens the clips on the fenders tab. It's not a really tight attachment which is probably why the ice block pulled the liner off the tabs.

There are about 10 hex head bolts - both in the wheel well and under the (removeable) front extension of the liner - beside the push pins that hold the liner to the fender and the outer undercover/frame attachment points.

Best way to get a start on the HowTo remove the liner is reading the applicable parts of techstream for your year and model Prius since I haven't seen any U-tubes about it yet.

10. 100 free watt hours

100 free watt hours Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anybody have any ideas how to fix the broken attachment points on the fenders and liners?

11. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tie wraps :D

vvillovv likes this.
  12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    washers? glued onto the liners. What part of the liners be broken?

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The best adhesive for lots of things including metal and plastics is LOCTITE HY 4070. It is a 2 part fast set glue with a special mixing nozzle. I have glued ripped bumper covers with it as well as minor structural repairs. It is not epoxy - more like a very strong gel far better than regular superglue.

IMG_4030.jpeg
    They give you a few nozzles but each is one time use. So lineup several jobs if possible. You do have to hold parts together for a minute or so.

Aftermarket-fender liners and undercovers are cheap but usually don’t fit nearly as well. So maintaining your oem liners and covers is the best plan when possible.

#13 rjparker, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024