1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOW TO : Replace Front Brake Pads and Discs (Rotors) Prius Gen 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius-walla, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Solman636

Solman636 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is a good point about cleaning. How would you get the old out of there? The old rubber is a concern too. How would you clean it? Hate to leave any water in it, and solvent would be a risk perhaps? The grease old and new look about the same, but how would they react?

2. Solman636

Solman636 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For sure I disconnect the neg. cable. Don't want any disasters! Haha.

Was just reading on amz listing on the syl glide that some say they use it to lube the shims etc too. I wonder? I had the Permatex green stuff for the metal already but makes one think.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If there's any concern about the rubber, then one of the easiest things to do is stop at the dealer and buy the rubber kit. You get all the rubbery bits (pin boots, piston boots, piston seals, bleeder covers) and other miscellaneous small bits to do both sides. (If you're not going to disassemble the calipers and replace the piston seals and boots, you can just hang on to those parts as spares.)

And if you buy that kit, your grease question gets simpler, because it comes with a little right-sized packet of the specified glycol/lithium soap grease in it, so there's no problem mixing it with the original stuff.

I don't specifically know if there's an adverse reaction between the original glycol grease and a silicone. I'm just going by the conventional wisdom to be very leery of mixing different grease types. For that matter, I don't have any inside knowledge of why Toyota's so adamant about not using a silicone there, but for whatever reason, they kind of are; aside from the manual, they've issued additional service bulletins reconfirming that the glycol stuff is all they want there.

Solman636 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I cleaned the pins, but not the bores, no issues.

Solman636 likes this.
  5. Solman636

Solman636 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL..I have enough brake lube of any kind to do 100 cars now..Haha. Love the small sample size.

6. SaganGathering

SaganGathering Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I never heard of this brake fluid testing. Where does one get these strips?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    drone13 likes this.
  8. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WARNING: I bought an electronic one from Aliexpress and it is utterly useless. I can get it to read "perfectly fine" to "replace because you have no braking power left" by submerging the measuringprongs a little more.

That strip looks like a pH strip used in chemistry. Not versed on the process of aging brake fluid, but sounds like it could be trustworthy.

9. drone13

drone13 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The brake fluid and coolant strips are a great thing for everyone with a Prius. Others may disagree, but I think anyone with a Prius should check both fluids as a part of preventative maintenance maybe once a year, 6 months or whatever maintenance schedule you think is best for you. Degraded fluid can damage rubber seals, cups, and rubber parts in the brake system making for more expensive repairs. Bad coolant can start to damage the radiators if the coolant isn't kept in good condition due to loss of effectiveness of the additives that are specifically added to the coolant to help the aluminum not degrade. If both test good, I don't think there is any reason to change the fluids. If the results are marginal or bad then it's best to flush, fill, and bleed to save from expensive repairs down the road.

Don't forget when you test that you have 2 completely different coolant systems to check.

BTW, Amazon also has this same product at the same price, but maybe with free 2-day shipping.

Amazon.com : brake fluid test strips