1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to replace rear wiper motor?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by EGaby, Sep 13, 2013.

1. EGaby

EGaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all.i just bought my prius iii 2010. And rear wiper motor failed.it won't stop working.yes right keeps working.
    Dealer said $180 part $115 labor
    I found on ebay $80 part.and I wanna diy save and money.
    If there is anyonr replace the rear wiper motor and help me.really appreciated.

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The rear wiper is easy to replace.

Pull out the inside hatch interior plastic lining.
    - Once you do this you'll see the wiper motor, wiring, etc.
    Unbolt the wiper motor and wiper

Installation is the reverse.

Quite a few of us have deleted the rear wiper, so if you might be able to purchase one off of the many of us.

Or you could go the route by deleting the rear wiper all together :)

TsKarma likes this.
  3. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you sure it isn't an electrical problem leading to the motor? I would expect a failed motor to not work, not be on constantly.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. EGaby

EGaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dealer diagnosed ($62) said wiper motor bad.

i took out the fuse to stop it.is it easy to pull out the interior plastic.?

i dont wanna break anything. :/

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TsKarma likes this.
  6. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    May I ask how you covered the void left after you removed the rear wiper?

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea I don't understand this....

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. EGaby

EGaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How to remove the interior plastic to see the wiper motor?

9. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can pick up a hole cover/plug at the hardware appliance store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). There are a few DIYs that people have posted on the site. You can find them in the hardware section and come in various sizes.

It basically involves:
    - Remove wiper assembly
    - Paint hole cover/plug black
    - Dab a line of silicone sealant on the back side of the hole cover/plug to seal any possible void between the hole/plug and the window
    - Place the hole cover/plug into the area where the wiper arm was and wait a few hours for the silicone sealant to dry.

I don't recall the specific measurement of the hole cover/plug you need to buy, but it should be pretty easy to quickly measure the hole and run into the store to buy the piece. I want to say it's 1"-3/8ths but you really should double check by measuring your rear window.

TsKarma likes this.
  10. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I started out just to remove the rear wiper blade assembly itself for cosmetic reasons.

OK, with protruding wiper drive larger than I thought, I just went ahead and removed the entire wiper motor. It was VERY easy to do.
    To remove the plastic back door liners, start with lower first. At sides you will see raised sections to insert a pry tool. pry away and it starts to pop off. Just work your way around popping all 8 or so attaching plastic retainers away from back door. Then starting at the bottom of the mid plastic piece (this one is just below the glass), pry/pop it's lower retainers. Before trying to remove this piece from it's top most area, pull with your hands on the skinny window trim 'just above' where the 'middle piece' joins it on each side. The middle piece is tied into the upper side pieces, so it needs to be moved away from the window enough to remove middle piece from it's 'tabs' into upper sides.

Remove wiring harness and the three 10mm bolts holding the motor and it is out.

The remaining hole is 1.40" in dia. This is 35.56 mm, so a 35 mm plug is just right.
    1.375" is 1 3/8" , this should work well too. For now, I just cut a piece of cardboard, inserted into hole and covered both sides with electrical tape until I can get to Lowe's or Home Depot to find a plug.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You say it's constantly on. Is it on intermittent, or steady? I too wonder if it's not the motor, rather: a problem with the wiper switch. The dealer could be guessing.