1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Replace the Inverter Coolant Pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, that is the theory behind why that pump and the canister are there.

If the mpg is improved, I would say this is close to unmeasureable. My basis for asserting that is when I owned my 2001 (which doesn't have that fancy CHRS system) the mpg bar gauge for the first 5 minutes would normally register around 25 mpg. Same for the 2004 and 2007. Hence, my experience is that any mpg benefit is hard to demonstrate given the measurement tools available to the owner.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where were you located at that time? I can definately notice the ICE shut down faster. I have measured 30 deg F coolant temp raised by the CHS. At near freezing, the effect is more pronounced.

3. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Orange County.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So it doesn't get too cold right?

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, 40 degrees F is usually the low temp during the winter.

6. thorn

thorn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Patrick, I worry I might be on a trip when it fails and then it may leak. Also, it's getting noisy, but on the other hand it's only on for 20 sec or so...

It does get cold at times here in Maryland, Hard to tell if it helps or not. Any studies on this?

Thanks, Greg

7. thorn

thorn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Looking at the manual, it looks like the pump is built into the Coolant Heat Storage Tank unit. Maybe just disconnect the pump power?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Greg,

What manual are you looking at? To remove the pump, you just need to gain access to it (by removing the fender liner and maybe the engine under cover) then disconnect the wiring harness connector, the two hoses, and one bolt that holds the pump to the canister.

I haven't heard of this pump leaking. Regardless, if it gives you greater confidence in the car to replace the pump, go for it. (I'd encourage you to replace the inverter coolant pump, as a higher priority.)

I have previously posted on how to replace engine coolant, which is a bit tricky because of the presence of the canister and the need to drain and refill it. If you don't plan to drain the coolant system before replacing the pump, then this will not be a big issue.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. thorn

thorn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I got the manuals here:

http://www.selidori.com/tech/prius/DOC/Tech2004/

I stopped by the local dealer and the pump is separate from the canister, $163.
    Is there a cheaper place to buy it?

The inverter pump is ~$150, $91 online at Part Detail

I have not had any problems with the car so I have just been doing maintenance.

I would like to replace both pumps.

Thanks, Greg

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Greg,

Usually you can save money by buying parts from one of the Toyota dealers that sell parts over the web, like the site you cited. That particular dealer is located in California. Since you live on the East that may not be the most cost-effective or convenient from a shipping charge and delivery time perspective.

I buy my parts from Champion Toyota in Houston (toyotaworld.com) and have been very pleased with their order fulfillment accuracy and delivery time. Some East Coast owners buy from metrotpn.com in Cleveland.

12. thorn

thorn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Looks like Toyota will be doing it:

Toyota fixing coolant pump in Prius globally

[SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick, thanks for the instructions.
    If I connected a tube from the bleeder nipple and placed it into the coolant tank, could I run the IG-ON without periodic breaks until no more bubbling is heard ?

Dumb question perhaps, since I do not understand the need to cycle the IG-ON.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main reason to cycle the inverter coolant pump at short intervals while you are trying to get the air out is to give you a chance to open the bleed valve to vent out air, and top off the coolant reservoir before it becomes empty, which would allow more air to enter the system. Also, I'm not sure whether the coolant pump will be damaged if coolant is not flowing through to keep the moving parts lubricated and cool.

Note that the Toyota repair manual suggests running the pump at 20-second intervals, while LSC A0N technical instructions that Josh kindly made available recommends 5-second intervals initially, followed by 1-minute intervals.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ump-dealer-letter-technical-instructions.html

15. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK. I did the work today (even though Toyota will do it for free). I had already bought the pump to have it on hand, so I just had to buy the plug gasket to have all the parts.

Some observations (if you're going to do it yourself).

1) It's a pretty tight fit - even if you use the Toyota instructions.
    2) The most difficult part was getting the hoses off of the old pump. I did this by unclipping the hoses, unbolting the old pump from its mounting plate, and pulling the hoses and the pump out so I could get some leverage.
    3) The second most difficult part was getting the hoses and the hose clamps back into place. KY jelly for putting the hoses back on helped.
    4) Bleeding was no big deal - 18" of 1/4" clear tubing on the bleeding nipple and into the tank. Open the nipple, let it run until no bubbles. Make sure you keep the tank level full while bleeding. Done.
    5) Y'all don't have to worry about critters drinking the coolant - it's got a bitterant added - Yuk! (got a drop splashed into my mouth).

maverick1970 and jreed like this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll second the observation that pulling the hoses off is a real pain. I think they have to be rotated back and forth to break the seal while pulling. The top hose actually came off easy once I disconnected from the other side that connects to the coolant container and brought the hose out. The side hose, otoh, almost drove me to distraction.

I also had to fight the electric connector. Like the hoses, I found it best to first undue the pump bracket so that I could turn the connector around.

17. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After getting the notice from Toyota, I took my 2006 in to the dealer for inverter coolant pump replacement last week. They told me to bring it right down when I called, and were all through in about an hr or so. No charge, even though the car is out of warranty. They didn't try to sell me anything else either.

My only complaint was that the top of the engine was all splattered with coolant when I inspected it after I got back home. So...I took a rag and cleaned it off. Rather sloppy of the mechanic, I thought. Everything else seems to be fine.

Also, For some reason, I had to re-calibrate my Scan guage after they were through?? Now..why would that be??

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm tempted to make a joke at this point . . . but I'll relent
    :p
    The dealer did mine on Thursday / Friday . . . along with the nonsense gas pedal issue recall. Toyota paid for a Gen III (I had to pay an extra $5 for the 'upgrade' from a corola) for me to drive around in for the day - while they did the work. So ... it was a VERY good day.
    New coolant - NO charge
    New pump - no charge
    Gen III - $5
    Nice! Life is good.

On a side note observation. It's ironic that when Patrick started this thread back in the ancient times, he noted numerous pump failures, and suggested it be changed at an early interval. Now, here we are.

19. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah yeah yeah.

[/humor]
    Seriously though, I've found that KY works really well when you're trying to get rubber hoses back on for cooling systems. It's water soluble, doesn't attack things made of rubber, and there's no problem with it in coolant. A little dab on the inside of the rubber hose and it will slide right on. I think it's a neat trick!
    [humor]

I now return you to your regularly scheduled chat.

20. wildbottom

wildbottom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't forget to get your Reimbursement for Toyota. Good Reading
    Comment on the Tip for the Hose: Now I have an excuse to keep some KY:) in the glove compartment. ;)