1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Replace the Inverter Coolant Pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Jul 12, 2009.

1. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Prius can only be towed with front axle on ground if it’s ig-on and then you should only tow it bellow 67km/h or 42MPH. And if it’s in ig-on then 12V battery will drain. So really only easy and safe way to tow Prius is with (at least) front axle off ground.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should ask for a flat bed tow truck when a tow is necessary

3. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    how do I check if my inverter coolant pump is functioning at par??

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Open the inverter coolant tank cap and see if surface of the coolant has ripple in it. If it has coolant is circulating and pump is working fine.

5. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the swift response. but what do you mean by "if coolant is circulating . . . . "??

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If surface of coolant in the tank has ripple then coolant is circulating. If coolant is circulating then pump is working fine. Do the check in ig-on or ready.

7. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ooh ok. great thanks. would do it and report back

8. Erwin Mayrhofer

Erwin Mayrhofer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

9. Erwin Mayrhofer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

10. Erwin Mayrhofer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, great help!! Replaced pump, purrs like a kitten, how do you reset the triangular warning light?

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are any warning lights on besides the master warning red triangle light?

Disconnect the 12V battery negative cable where it bolts to the body. While you are there make sure the terminal connections at the battery are tight. Wait a few minutes, then reconnect the negative cable to the body. That should clear any existing DTC (except DTC logged by the skid control ECU and SRS ECU) and then the red triangle light may go off.

If the red triangle light doesn't go off then your car still has a current problem. Start by checking all engine compartment fluids, especially the fluid level in the radiator. Remove the radiator cap to check the level, do not rely on just looking at the fluid level in the translucent plastic overflow tank. Make sure that all doors and the hatch are closed.

12. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,

Stupid question - where is the bleeder valve? I have looked and cannot find one on my 2007. I'm sure I'm just overlooking it, but don't want to get into this without knowing. I'm at just under 170k and the last time the pump was changed was under the warranty recall.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remove the large black plastic cover over the radiator, and you will see the bleeder valve in front of the inverter. There is only one valve with 2G (unlike Classic which has two valves and is much harder to purge the inverter coolant system of air.)

14. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Black tipped nipple?

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, pull off the black rubber cover and then you can attach a clear vinyl hose to the nipple, running the hose up to the reservoir opening.

16. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hand to forehead....I was expecting a stopcock. Thank you, Patrick!

17. goodMXguy

goodMXguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I need some help.

I got code DTC P0A93.

Background information= I bought the car online and had already replaced 12 V battery. I knew there was a problem with heat, but it was winter. Now I am getting the same error. the electric cable was disconnected from the inverter coolant pump. As I was trying to find the reason of the problem I connected the cable, and turned the car without pressing the brake. I got fumes,so I turned the car off ASAP. I then realized that the electric was not all the way in so I inserted all the way in this time. I paid attention to see if the pump will come back or if there was any turbulence in the reservoir, but not luck there (no fumes either).

I ordered a new pump and coolant and plan to replace it ASAP. My question is how can I tell this was not a problem of cables?Could the burning fumes did damage the cables? How do I know or go about it IF after I install the new pump nothing comes up?

In the best case scenario the pump was the problem and the car is in shape again, but I just want to be ready.

I got code DTC P0A93

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does "a problem with heat" mean? Does that mean the cabin heater is not working or does that mean you knew the inverter had a tendency to overheat?

What does "fumes" mean? Are you referring to the smell of burnt electronics?

If that is what you mean, the original inverter pump motor has a short. Do not try to plug the connector in, again.

Check the 15A AM2 fuse. It is probably blown. Replace that fuse so that the car can be made READY. You can use a voltmeter to determine the presence of 12V at one pin of the wiring harness connector (another pin should be connected to body ground) which will show you the wiring is OK.

Do not drive the car until the new pump has been installed and the inverter coolant reservoir shows fluid turbulence, which demonstrates that you were able to satisfactorily purge air out of the coolant loop.

19. goodMXguy

goodMXguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi Patrick.

It's very nice to hear from you. Since I posted I kept driving (I didn't read your response until today). I replaced the inverter pump yesterday. I bleed the air. I hear the new pump working (the old one didn't make any noise). I still don't see any "inverter coolant reservoir fluid turbulence", though. I am not sure how it's supposed to look... Do you think I need to bleed the air again? I did it for about 4 minutes.

Best regards.

20. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you use the bleeder valve as mentioned in post 153 above?

Look at the reservoir with a good light while the car is off and have an assistant turn the car to IG-ON while you're looking. You should see the difference in flow. It may be hard to see in poor light or if you don't know what to look for, but you should definitely be able to tell the difference between off and on. Or maybe the system still has air in it. If so, bleed it again with the bleeder valve.

When I did mine, it may have taken quite a few minutes to get every last bubble out. I could hear turbulence in the pump, too, until it was bled completely. You should only be able to barely hear a very quite hum, like an aquarium pump--nothing else.