1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to reset airbag light on a 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cheez, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Cheez

Cheez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius. the ribbon in the clockspring broke. I had to replace it this week and now my airbag light is on. Does anyone have an idea how to reset this light?​

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The skid control ECU and SRS ECU have nonvolatile memory that will not reset just because the 12V power is removed.

To clear the SRS ECU DTC, connect pins 4 and 13 of the OBD-II connector and make the car IG-ON.

The pin numbering starts from the right side of the bottom row of the connector which is wider than the top row. Hence Pin 1 is at the bottom right, while Pin 16 is at the upper left.

After the car is made IG-ON, the SRS light should flash a two-digit sequence which is the trouble code. There may be more than one two-digit sequence stored. Record those sequences.

After you make the car IG-OFF, the codes might be automatically cleared. If they are not, then you need to reconnect the jumper to pins 4 and 13, make the car IG-ON again, allow the DTC sequence to be produced, then disconnect the jumper wire within 3 - 10 seconds after the sequence stops.

Then see if the SRS warning light comes back on after 3 seconds. If it does, reconnect the jumper wire within 2-4 seconds. You may need to repeat this process 3x.

If the DTC refuses to clear then the system probably still has a fault.

Danny S likes this.
  4. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ok so I too am having this problem, the description is great but how do I read the code of the blinking lights?

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Techstream will reset the airbag lights but a common problem when refitting air bags is the connectors to the air bags are not fully pushed home before being locked. This will give one or more of the following codes:-

B1801 open circuit squib (black connector)
    B1800 short circuit squib
    B1811 open circuit squib stage 2 (yellow connector)
    B1810 short circuit squib stage 2

John (Britprius)

HDuncan likes this.
  6. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III

do you see a pattern?

7. Prius RT

Prius RT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you saying it's possible airbag light is on and it could just go away when properly reset ?
    A few months ago, got b1801/51 code and steering buttons, horn stopped working.
    Yesterday replaced clock spring with new genuine part from dealer. While buttons, horn work, airbag light is still on.
    Are you saying it could just be that it may need a reset and battery disconnect won't reset this light ? Any help appreciated

ydpplqbd likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What airbag system code(s) do you see currently with a scan tool? That'll be the best information to start with?

If you don't have a scan tool, you can get blink codes, but they'll be a little less detailed (for example, the B1800, B1801, B1802, B1803 codes all share the blink code 51).

ydpplqbd likes this.
  9. Prius RT

Prius RT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have scan tool. How can I see blink code

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  11. Prius RT

Prius RT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Prius RT

Prius RT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also have a feeling it is due to wire harness. I remember adjusting the seat(which I rarely do). The next day I started getting the airbag light. I have jiggled the yellow connectors at the bottom of the 2 seats. The light won't go away. Maybe I have to jiggle the other wires...will try today. Maybe the wire harness needs replacement. Do you know what that would take..any video, etc

#12 Prius RT, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Didn't you say the code was B1801 though? That isn't a seat airbag, it's the one in the steering wheel.

But I think you had that code from a while ago. It would be best to know what the trouble code or codes is/are right now.

14. Prius RT

Prius RT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Chronology

1. Seat adjustment and next day airbag light on
    2. Months later horn, sw buttons stopped working
    3. Odbc scanned showed dtc code b1801
    4. Yesterday changed clockspring. Sw buttons and horn working. Airbag light still on
    5. Today unplugged yellow cable underneath both seats and plugged back in. Still airbag light on
    Going to try to unplug and plug all connectors underneath and maybe clean connector to see if that will do

Left side passenger airbag ind (dashboard corner)is red. Along with airbag light. left side passenger is driver

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you could post what the current airbag system trouble codes are now, we might be able to save a bunch of work and possible deeper-hole-digging.

16. Prius RT

Prius RT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does jumper have to be 1 wire connecting to the 2 pins ? Or can I connect 2 separate wires one to each pin.
    Don't know much about electrical/electronics.

When I tried the latter, airbag light did not get reset and nothing happened

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you use 2 wires and connect them together, the car can't tell it wasn't 1 wire.

While you had the car on with the jumper wire(s) connected, the dash light should have been blinking. What codes did it blink? At this stage, that matters more than clearing anything.

Prius RT likes this.
  18. Prius RT

Prius RT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wish I had a paper clip. Just have pins. The place is hard to reach as well (why make it so hard ). No my expectation is no dtc codes will be shown and airbag light will not come on if it's reset. Yellow connectors under seat were unplugged, cleaned and the wires jiggled.

19. Prius RT

Prius RT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally got a paper clip to insert in 4 and 13.
    As expected, no 2 digit codes were seen even after doing this 6 times. Just a few lights would blink in a sequence. Brake, vsc, abs, tire pressure and airbag light. Again no 2 digit codes.

I tried pressing the brake 8 times in 5 secs and did this at least 4 times hoping it would reset the airbag light. It did not. After I remove the jumper wire, airbag light came on.

Tire pressure indicator came on a month back and it's due to some dead battery or sensor...I just ignore this. Tire pressure is fine.

What do you think ?

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do you mean by "would blink in a sequence"? Any chance you could post video?