1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to reset airbag light on a 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cheez, Aug 11, 2013.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you know you're troubleshooting one particular airbag, say the one in the steering wheel, you can probably get away without disconnecting all of the other ones. It's mainly the connectors down at the airbag ECU where those circuits all come together, so just make very sure you know which pins are the ones for the steering-wheel bag and leave others alone.

There is likely to be a section in the repair manual with breadcrumbs like SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM: AIRBAG SYSTEM: PRECAUTION where you can find a bunch of useful safety info together in one place. (That's exactly what it's called in a 2010 repair manual PDF that could be found on the web some time, but that's not completely convincing because the whole SRS section in that PDF is actually from a Gen 2 manual. :()

2. Prius RT

Prius RT Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok. It appears like my issue is resolved. Today I got it scanned at a repair shop.
    Please see image attached. Current code was b1802. Under the history code it showed both b1801 and b1802. After seeing that we erased the code and started the car. The airbag light comes up and then after a couple secs goes off. I believe that's normal functioning. I have driven for 10 miles and started/stopped the ignition 4x and each time it is doing the above. Red airbag light never stays on like it used to. Maybe all I needed was an airbag reset after replacing the clockspring for that SRS light to go away.

Any thoughts? Appreciate all the useful pointers I received here

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it doesn't come back, sounds good.

For extra confidence, the airbag ECU has a special "check mode" you can enable, where it is more sensitive and detects issues at levels it normally wouldn't report. If you put it in check mode and it still reports no trouble codes, that would be a very good bill of health.

Techstream can be used to enable check mode. Whether that Matco scan tool can or not, I'm not sure.

Prius RT likes this.
  4. Prius RT

Prius RT Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could only do this reset once soon after seeing 51. I wasn't able to repeat the procedure 3x removing and reconnecting jumper wire within 4-8secs. Maybe that's why this reset didn't work. Using the scan tool we erased the airbag b1801 code and so far the SRS light is not staying on after the car is started.