1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to run out of gas

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by bwilson4web, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know specifically about the Prius, but in most cars, that's true.

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob what I don't see is whether you drive the car to an empty tank then drove until EV mode stops.
    Or if you stopped with a mile remaining.

On the volt with no gas miles and no EV miles I can still drive several miles past zero.

So I guess when the Prime says zero EV and zero gas it just stops?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct and I hate it!

This was my second tank and I'd reached Huntsville with some remaining. I did not charge the car but decided to find out what happens when the EV battery is drained and the last of the gas is burned:
    • power steering error comes on
    • the car becomes a rolling mass, no motive power
    • refilling with 1 gallon, the car won't start until AFTER as 12V reset (remove and reattach the ground)
    IMHO, this is the worst of the previous generations:
    1. Gen-1 - turns on a bunch of error lights and you can use the remaining traction battery to go 1-2 miles to a safe place to park. Add a gallon and the engine starts. Three failed start attempts sets a flag that requires a 12V reset OR tow to Toyota dealer for a $200 12V reset.
    2. Gen-2 - turns on a bunch of error lights "" "". Add a gallon and the engine starts.
    3. Gen-3 - turns off the power-flow arrows (IF YOU ARE WATCHING) giving traction battery energy to find a safe place to park. When power steering warning comes on, it has become an inertial mass. Add a gallon and the car starts.
    4. Gen-4 Prime - no warning, just sets the power steering error. Add a gallon and the car won't start until AFTER a 12V reset.
    Bob Wilson

4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bob, when the gas tank on the Prime complains that there is 0 miles remaining, how many miles buffer is really remaining? The Gen3 had about 70 miles in reserve.

Arctic_White likes this.
  5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I filled up when it said I had 12 miles remaining. It took 9.9 gallons out of a claimed 11.3 gallon tank.

So, 1.4 gallons * expected MPG - 12 is the answer to your question.

Mark57 likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like none of the above are too helpful, leave the average owner without much of a clue, in need of a tow. :mad:

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Knowing how the Prius handles running out of gas lets us mitigate the problem:
    • Knowing the gas is gone - earlier generation Prius alarms are soon enough to use the remaining traction battery range, ~0.5-2.0 miles, to find a safe place to park. I know of two incidents where the early alarms of the Gen-2 were enough the driver was able to reach an open gas station.
    • Refueling limits - knowing to avoid the three failed starts is enough to wait for road-side assistance to get a gallon of gas and drive to a gas station. Even knowing about the 12V, power reset, again avoids a tow by disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V ground after getting a gallon of gas.
    The Prius Prime is different and requires a different strategy:
    • When the low fuel light comes on, use 'Charge Mode' to convert about 0.5 gallons of the remaining 1.0 gallon to EV range. At the same time, reduce the speed to the minimum to extend the range. The 'Charge Mode' will bring the battery to 80%. When the last of the gas runs out, the car will continue in EV mode as this last charge is the reserve to find a safe place to park and get road-side assistance to bring spare gas.
    • Carry a tool to do a 12V power-on reset - if someone should run out of gas and traction battery charge, carry a tool to remove and reconnect the ground from the 12V battery terminal. In my case, I carry a multitool in the Prius Prime however a small crescent wrench, vice grip pliers, or even box/open ended wrench sized for the ground terminal would work. If road-side assistance shows up, put the spare gas in the car and have them do the 12V, power-on reset to avoid a tow.
    After marriage, I learned not everyone checks the instruments after starting a car including the gas gauge before driving off for a late appointment. This led to more than one unplanned, out-of-gas incidents. In 40 years, we've changed cars but kept the wife.

Not every gas station is 24 hour and the ones that are can sometimes have gouge prices at night. Also, there are routes where gas stations are few and far between that anyone could run out of gas (twice with our BMW i3-REx that had 40-50 miles of EV range remaining.) So I choose to test the 'edge condition', running out of gas, to find out to document how it works:
    1. Over 30 times in our Gen-1 Prius as part of my gasoline quality study. Running the tank dry allows the spare can of the next brand without having to burn a mix of brands and grades.
    2. About 6-7 times in our Gen-3 Prius to identify the obscure, undocumented loss of power flow arrows. The last time was during my driving stunt, 1,000 mile tank.
    3. Once in our Gen-4.5 Prime to understand how it handles being out of gas and EV power.
    Running out of gas can happen so I choose to know how best to handle it.

Bob Wilson

Arctic_White, heiwa and Krzysiek_KTA like this.
  8. MMtec

MMtec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In all generations the EV battery is protected by the car? I mean, if run low and low, he stops before damage the traction battery?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In 60 combined years of driving, neither my wife nor I have ever come close to running out of gas. The closest I've ever come was a few weeks ago in the Prime, and that was intentional and I still had over 100 miles of remaining range including an 80% battery charge. With a regular car like my 2004, I usually filled up with 3-5 ticks still left on the gas gauge. In 13 years of ownership, I never once saw the warning light.

Arctic_White, Mark57 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lee Jay, you are worse than my dad. He let's it get a little below a quarter of a tank. I don't view my tank being low on fuel until I have driven at least 40 miles with the gas light on. I have tested my trip computer and drove 10 miles past beyond the end of range which is zero. So -10 miles and I chickened out and went to the nearest gas station.

I like how Bob Wilson thinks. 40 or so times he has run out of fuel. For the record, I have never actually run out of fuel. My dad for years insisted that I liked to drive on fumes.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I tank up whenever the gauge has dropped below half. Primary reason: I want to be the one filling it, using same technique, recording odometer at time of fill, and noting/resetting trip meter (just for insurance, and to log the ongoing Toyota mpg BS factor). Basically because I've been running a spreadsheet, pretty much since new, and whenever anyone else fills it, confusion reigns.

This works best for my motives, and with our low usage, still only means a fillup every 3~4 weeks. Plus gas prices are very stable around here, and all the stations in an area will have the same prices.

Still, if you ran outa gas, it'd be nice if the car showed one simple warning, that said "YOU RAN OUTA GAS".

Arctic_White and Mark57 like this.
  12. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You mean to tell me, that your fancy PiP Prime doesn't have a low fuel warning? I would ask for a REFUND of my 35K! :)

My cheap little '16 regular hatchback has this...

image.jpg

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW, I'm never going to see that: even gas gauge just below half, I go into Chicken Little mode. :ROFLMAO:

#73 Mendel Leisk, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    CoastRider likes this.
  14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, the Prime has that same warning. I saw it the one time I intentionally drove until the light turned on.

And, yes, I don't plan to ever see it again. There's no need. I go to Costco for food more often than I need gas so filling up while I'm there anyway takes about 3 minutes. And in the Prime, that's probably just a few times a year.

CoastRider likes this.
  15. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll be joining that club shortly (if it were for the Prime!), I'll top 800 this afternoon. :) I think i'll have to get gas tomorrow though -- my first fillup...

Nic Steussy likes this.
  16. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, sir. That was the one & only time I ran the car to the warning light. It was my very first tank of gas, and I wanted to approximate how many miles the Prius could achieve. Never done it since. I'm cautious & conservative. Rarely allow the fuel to go below 1/2 tank.

I may be wrong, but that warning only pops up while using the Navigation? Not sure.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct. If nothing else, the three failed starts, won't try again flag, blocks draining the traction battery.

Bob Wilson

MMtec likes this.
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    May I guess that neither of you have memories of the OPEC Oil Embargo? When numerous people were trying to figure out how to make certain long trips on days when fuel rationing systems in certain states forbid them to legally purchase fuel?

Bob also mentioned fuel price gouging in some sparsely served areas at night. My first-hand experience with that happened in broad daylight, where the attendant (at a station I had previously used several times) was capitalizing on his holiday monopoly by demanding a pump unlock fee equivalent to a half tank of fuel. When I walked in just behind another customer, that attendant also made clear that we could not share that fee, each of us had to pay the full amount. Both of us walked out.

My gauge was still above a half tank, but with that short-fuel-range car (which previously ran dry with the needle still above E), it wasn't obviously enough to reach the next fuel station I knew to be open, so I sweated the next hundred miles. Since then, I haven't put up with the common multi-hour fuel gauging uncertainty, but have more carefully characterized the real fuel level of my tanks, to something more similar to commercial aircraft. So, if I'm ever again in a similar situation, I'll be in a better position to choose among (1) pay the extortion (if the station is even open at all), (2) backtrack to the previous known fuel, (3) detour, (4) camp out until fuel stations reopen, or (5) proceed forward on the intended path with confidence of reaching the destination or next open fuel.

Nowadays, the internet allows me to refuel based on price. Knowing the real fuel range expands the selection. And absent an emergency, I still arrive with more fuel range (expressed as operating time) remaining than do most commercial airliners.

But this tracking and computation and fuel planning does require some fondness for math, so it isn't for everyone.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I do, but it's irrelevant. If you can't safely make the trip you are planning on the available sources, you can't leave. Period. And in the Prime, with a 600+ mile range, it's even less relevant now.

CoastRider and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just like to top-off more often, (even in a Prius) because you never know about the unforeseen emergency that might occur. In my area it could be a natural disaster, mud slides, earthquake, riots, fires, 3 hour long freeway closures, etc. You just never know. I've seen it all.

Gas? Check.
    Glock? Check.
    Water? Check.
    Left-over pizza? Check.

Arctic_White, Mark57 and MMtec like this.