1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to run the A/C overnight?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by plai7778, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If anyone has any other tips to avoid the vibration/shudder from when the ICE starts, please post. It doesn't wake me up every time, but often.

Pro tip if you don't want to run the heat/AC all night: I have remote start. Before going to bed, I'll turn the heat on HIGH. If I wake from being too cold, I'll remote start the car and go back to sleep. The remote start runs the car for five minutes, then quits. Long enough to bring the ambient temperature up.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not much help for you but I think the Gen 4 starts up smoother. Perhaps camping in a Prime is not a bad idea.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. dancehost

dancehost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Put radiant barrier ($5 from camping store) or reflectix ($15 - $40 from Home Depot or Lowes) on top of your roof or windows and 90% of radiant heat will be reflected away. LightIen load for your AC and ICE will run less. Use less fuel and battery.
    I put relectix on inside of windows for:
    (search on youtube for details)
    1 reduced heat gain
    2 security - people can not see in to break into your car
    3 R22 insulation (keep you warmer in winter, cooler in summer
    4 reduce outside road noise for restful sleep
    5 enhances light at night when you are using a flashlight
    6 allows for stealth camping , sleeping, and parking
    7 save you money, fuel, ICE cycling
    8 (if you put relectix under your sleeping bag in winter, it will keep you warmer)

Reflectix has many camping aplications - making cozies for cooking (search on youtube for details)

barrier can be attached on outside of car with magnets (cover with tape to protect paint finish) or blue painters tape

Refectix can cut to form and inserted on inside of window and holds in place with tight fit. Stores easy when not in use.

I am unable to post links on all the above bcz I am a new member
    2011 Prius 3 with sunroof and solar panel

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never had a need to run A/C at night when camping in my Prius. I have sun shades that cover all the windows so if I pull over at a rest stop late at night, even if it's still 90' out I put the curtains up, front seats all the way forward, headrests off, recline them down flush w/back seats and long ago replaced center console with big pillow. Way moremcomfortable than sleeping in back of car. As for a really hot nights, I just get naked and sleep. The car heating up in the morning is my alarm clock! :)

5. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm trying to picture your setup -- both front seats reclined to flush with back seat and pillow where console used to be. Are you sleeping side to side or front to back? Where are your feet?

It seems like most Prius campers push the front seat backs forward, rather than recline them flush with the back seats. That surprised me. While I am one who sleeps in the back (which you apparently don't do), doing the set up you describe yields well over nine feet of length to sleep. I have a sheet of plywood I put down (under my comfy mattress) so its all perfectly flat. Not sure why most don't configure the front seat has you have described.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I first got the car I removed the back seats entirely and was able to fit a futon mattress (size: Full) and it pretty much fit perfectly, but I needed to configure some custom sculpted foam for under the mattress so the mattress would sit perfectly flat. I used to build camper vans so I knew the process to go about doing that but it sucks telling friends you don't have room in your car because you removed that back seat and the amount of times I needed to use a full size bed wasn't often enough, so never finished that one. But at some point when I have more than one Prius or other hybrid I'll for sure set it up...

7. plai7778

plai7778 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll finish this thread with my own experience for the past 16 months. I move the front two seats forward, pull the seat in the back down, and use an expensive thermarest sleeping pad. I use a front sunshade and 4 customcut shades (companyHeatshield) for the other 4 windows for complete privacy. The engine shake is a bummer but I'm a heavy sleeper and I step on the eBrake. I guess I'm use to it. I generally pick a spot to sleep where it will be shaded when sun comes up. Depending on how hot it is I will set climate control between 68-74. As for mpg consumption w a/c, I spend 2-3 nights, and use no more than 1.5 gallons of fuel. I think the Prius can definitely idle w nothing on for longer than 10hrs on 1gal. One thing to note I use to draw fresh air in when using a/c. After much research and experimentation: use recirculate during summer and outside air during winter. If your car is less than 5 yrs old there should be no leaks, no need for carbon monoxide monitor, no need to draw outside air in. I guess if your car is older I would do both just in case. I used less fuel when running on recirculate. Winter time is more of a problem as it uses 5x as much fuel for heat. My solution is getting a 12v heating blanket and putting it under my mat w sleeping bag. I will only turn on heat sparingly whenever it's lower than 40F and that's only a month or two in Cali. YouTube living in a Prius and I pretty much have the same setup except I work out of town and sleep in it 7 days out of a month. Thank you all for your replies and inputs.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

rbdigital and PriusCamper like this.
  8. Zaranman

Zaranman New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It has been quite a challenge for me to find an answer to my question. I read the threads about sleeping in the car overnight, but mine shuts off every 59 minutes. It is a pain to crawl back to the front to press the brake and restart the engine and get back to sleep EVERY HOUR! So any advice on this would help. Thank you.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    From Page 247 of the PDF https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47E09U/pdf/OM47E09U.pdf

Auto power off function If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY mode for more than 20 minutes or ON mode (the hybrid system is not operating) for more than an hour with the shift position in P, the power switch will automatically turn off. However, this function cannot entirely prevent the 12-volt battery discharge. Do not leave the vehicle with the power switch in ACCESSORY or ON mode for long periods of time when the hybrid system is not operating

If you left the vehicle in D and used large chocks, it sounds as if it would not turn off.

www.amazon.com/MTC-20207-Heavy-Wheel-Chocks/dp/B017RW8G54
    These nest so all 4 (you need chocks for both drive wheels) can store in a small space,,

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you please clarify is this problem is when car is turned on in ready mode? OR only a problem when car is in accessory mode?

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Zaranman has a 2021. The late models have added a safety feature and will actually power off from READY mode if parked for a certain time.

Someone has posted from the owners' manual the way to deactivate the auto power off if you are staying inside the car. I think it had something to do with working the door lock. (I don't remember the details, but they should be in the owners' manual, I remember that.)

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All you need is the owner's manual:
    Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 3.22.57 PM.png

Merkey, Prodigyplace and JimboPalmer like this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So how is it that during a power outage people can hook their prius up to their house via an inverter and the car stays in ready mode indefinitely without shutting off every hour? Is that because the engine starts up within the hour to recharge the hybrid battery? Or is it because the car is not locked? So confusing?

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    READ
    This was a change for 2021 apparently
    If locked with the physical key the timeout is bypassed.

jerrymildred and Grit like this.
  15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are 4 generations of Prius. You have Gen 2 and the question is about Gen 4, confusingly asked in a Gen 3 forum.

For the Gen4, you need tricks to keep it running unattended, jerrymildred and I posted some tricks.
    For Gen 1 through Gen 3, no such tricks are needed, the car runs until it is out of gas.

jerrymildred and PriusCamper like this.
  16. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Manuals are just another mans suggestion, who would want to read that :LOL:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In this case it's not about what the manual says, but which generation of Prius you have and what forum to ask the question in...

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems to me there are some things I call tricks.

But when it's a question of "I want to do X, how do I do that?" and the owners' manual has a section in it that goes "when you want to do X, here's what to do" and you do that, it doesn't seem so much like a trick to me. :)

jerrymildred and StarCaller like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is if you don’t read. But then why are you here wasting our time?