1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to see estimated oil life?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by techno-Zen, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Techno,

If there is one bit of good advice here that is NOT in your manual ( you do have one, no? ),
    it's change your transaxle fluid if you plan on keeping this car for the long haul.

Lots of info around here on this subject.

Enjoy you Prius !!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

You could remove the filter, pour out any oil in it, and re-install it, eliminating the 1/2 qt you mention.

As to the rational of always replacing the oil filter:

With the Prius, 'cause Toyota says to replace it with oil change, that's what I do. And Toyota's to be commended for making the filter so that only the paper is not reusable. But I don't see filter change with each oil change as chiseled in stone:

Honda for one recommends to only replace the oil filter at alternate oil changes. FWIW, this recommendation is widely ignored by their string of dealerships: if you ask for this they really try to change your mind, treat you like you should be institutionalized, LOL.

do not know, don't think it's terrible. In particular since most filters on the road are still steel/rubber/paper composites that are difficult to recycle.

3. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, it's the modern green way to make an oil filter.
    My previous car also used a cartridge and once I read the word "Incinerator-able" about them.
    Save them and chuck them into a camp fire!

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK..I'll bite.

If you are going to do something, do it right. ;)