1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured How To Sell EVs To People Who Hate Them

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully the cost to install L2 charging stations doesn't make more people homeless. That wouldn't win over people who hate EV's.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Unlikely this regulation &/or ones like it will apply to the projects in the ghetto.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I work with 4 miles of range gained per hour charging from a 15amp120V outlet. IIRC, that is around what the Volt got. More efficient EV will get more and vice versa. Also less if you charged at a lower amperage to not tax the circuit.

With your climate, I might use 3 miles/hr. Better to plan for worse case before buying.

That should look at the week level. If overnight charging doesn't fully cover the daily miles, but the EV is a long range model. Level 1 charging could work if the person's schedule allows to fully charge the EV during days off.

I think new construction is already 200 or higher amp service. Might also be wiring much of the house for 20amp120V.

Then if grid tied solar is supported, need to upgrade infrastructure for that.
    Higher quote prices are mostly from adding to existing homes. Much easier in new construction.

fuzzy1, Isaac Zachary and iplug like this.
  4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    With new construction, the forces involved with directing codes to require mandatory EV charging circuits will likely save builders on costs overall.

These same forces are also directing the revision of codes in many places to no longer require (and sometimes forbid) builders from having to plumb buildings with substantially more costly natural gas lines.

bisco and Isaac Zachary like this.
  5. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest, as someone familiar with the electrical trade and construction in general, I don't see including an L2 EVSE or at least the wiring for it as a noticeable cost on new construction.

fuzzy1 and iplug like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With many new multi-hundred-unit housing projects under construction adjacent to opening-soon Light Rail stations, dozens of charging stations doesn't seem unrealistic. Especially since the on-site parking requirements were reduced long ago, with the expectation that many more tenants will go car-free. Which has actually been happening, for a long time, especially for apartments and condos in urban cores and within walking distance of the ever-improving transit hubs and routes.

Here is one of the requirements charts:
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 113745.jpg

While the basic requirement is 40 amps of L2 (208/240V) per charging space, the larger projects don't really have to supply it all at once:

Screenshot 2024-04-29 120620.jpg

... so the real electric capacity for large projects can be as low as 8.3 kW for 10% of parking spaces, and 3.3 kW (16 A * 208 V) for 35% of spaces. And remember that with more people going car-free, both in policy and in reality, the number of parking spaces can be significantly lower than the number of housing units.

New construction only, not retroactive. I haven't noticed any building zone code for "ghetto".

iplug and Isaac Zachary like this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My brother by another mother. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tbh, one of us takes after our father, and one after our mother. it's pretty darn black and white. maybe more children would have mixed the gene pool a little more :cool:
    we love each other, but have absolutely nothing in common.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not a zoning code term. But everyone understands Skid Row or ghetto or slums to reflect areas of extreme down & outers, where many don't even have any car.

Screenshot_2024-04-29-15-47-32-30_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

You say tomato .....

So .... no extra bad areas to be razed - because grandfathered, a slumlord won't have to prep for EV's ... despite fewer people having ANY car - much less an EV

#70 hill, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With four younger brothers, there is a spectrum:
    • #2 - more responsible
    • #3 - more experimental
    • #4 - more communicative
    • #5 - more career more medical
    Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I.e. even without any building code exemption, this new requirement won't cause or exacerbate any issues in such areas.

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So the title of this thread is “How To Sell EVs To People Who Hate Them”.

This may not be enough, but maybe cause one to think twice about Cruise Ships and Flying short distances when public and other transportation is available. Electric cars rock (and get even better numbers when charged with renewables):

CO₂ equivalent emissions per passenger km:

IMG_5417.jpeg

Cruise Ships Are The Most Carbon-Intensive Travel Method - Voronoi

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  14. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More trains and trollies would be cool!
    No info on biking or walking though.

I wonder what more carpooling would do to those numbers.

iplug likes this.
  15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Would like to see electric bikes/scooters and electric buses on the list too.

Not certain, but think this is per solo occupant when it comes to personal vehicles, so effectively a carpool of four occupants should reduce the footprint by roughly fourfold per capita.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    cruise ships run on Bunker fuel.
    LOL .... yea that's a real clean proposition. Never mind the cost per cabin

17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does full self driving? Let me take my hands off the wheel and it'll take me from point A to point B without touching anything even one time? If not then it's not full self driving

Can I drive the car anyway? I like without them raising the price of my insurance? If not Jane, it's not a fast car

Will it still drive 300 something miles after I owned it 5 years and 150,000 mi? If not then it's not a 300 mile car

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beware overconfidence. ADAS is supposed to be an aid to improve good driving, not a crutch to cover impaired driving.

Age and degrading night vision leave me unable to safely handle such single-day drives anymore, without regular shift changes with a relief driver. Sometimes even with such relief. And I'm a decade younger.

19. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles does one travel on a cruise ship in his or her lifetime? I mean, I'd like to drive a car around a race track some day. I'm sure that's not going to be very fuel efficient, but I also don't see a cruise ship as being a daily driver either. (I saw an RX8 today and wanted to drive it so badly just once). And no, I can't say that I like cruise ships, I've never been on one nor have I seen one in person nor do I think I'll ever go on one. But at what point do we disqualify entertainment for fuel consumption?

Also, how much fuel is used to bring in the yearly county fair rides? It's kind of the same idea, enterainment transported via internal combustion.

What about movie production? How much carbon is produced to produce a movie?

To me, if a person is going to reduce the amount of carbon and air polution they are liable for by avoiding a certain form of vacation or entertainment they ought to know how much is produced for other types of entertainment and draw a line somewhere.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Carbon fuels have a cost and the CO{2} generated per kM is a reasonable stand-in for the cost and expense.

Bob Wilson