1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to spot spam bot posts

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 5 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]521785[/snapback]</div>
    Sure... if we don't greet someone, we are called stuck-up. If we do, we are feeding the bots.
    It's a no-win situation.

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that the registration validation image has change to a more complex image. I have also noticed that the bot spam has stopped or to me it has looked like it stopped. Can any mods verify that bot spam has stopped or at least slowed down since the change?

[edit] I posted to soon. A spam bot just posted right after I posted this.

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was waiting for you to post, obviously. Those spam bots are smart. :lol:

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I dont see a bot for a while and then as soon as I post about it this smileyyello bot goes all out and makes 5 posts. :angry: :rolleyes:

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To the mods. May I suggest that you delete the spam bot user account because with a bot like smileyyello google will still spider through to the user profile and find the links in the signature. Allowing this would help the spammer getting their sites ranked higher and I don't think we want that.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good call, Force. I'll go ahead and delete that account.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Nov 6 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]535848[/snapback]</div>
    I did make some changes to the registration page to make it tougher on spam bots, and added an extra little question for them to try and get around. This guy who posted tonight is from a supposedly real company. I'm going to call their 800 number in the morning and have a talk with them regarding their "marketing" strategies.

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen something new today. A spam bot has posted a reply to what seemed to be a random topic in a random forum. This bot even posted a some what relevant reply to the topic. It did not post any links but it did have links in the signature. I wont post a link to the topic because I hope the mods take care of it by the time you read this. I also hope the mods remove the account so google will not pick up the new user profile.

I will give you the user name so you can see what this bot is doing. The user name is crespowu and you can do a google search on that name. Google will show you that this bot gets around and does make some what on topic posts but it had the same or similar signature for the profile.

So my question is has the "bot" gotten smarter or has someone done a little more work by hand to make the posts look more real?

I think it might be a good idea to do a search query on the SQL database for any links in a profile signature and try to eliminate any spam bots that got through. This should be pretty easy to do for anyone with SQL experience. Just make a search with these parameters. Find all user accounts with "http://" in the signature where total posts is less than say 10. This should limit the results to possible spam bots and throw out true active users.