1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to stop full page google ads

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by sanguis, Feb 8, 2006.

1. ThunderJon

ThunderJon New Member

No way is that a Google served ad, what makes you say so? I'm pretty sure Danny wouldn't be running full Flash layovers like that in this community. Undoubtedly you do have some spyware. IMHO, I would edit the thread title before you get whacked on by others.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me address this real quick. The ad you saw is seen strictly by guests on the site. If you are logged-in, you should only see some various Google ads (mostly text but Google has started with some image ads as well). I'm constantly trying to weigh having an advertising system that is the least intrusive as possible while at the same time developing enough money to keep the site running. Guests are not registered members of this site and do not give anything back to the community, therefore they see the tribalfusion banner ads, which do involve some rich media ads such as the Allstate one pictured.

Once I get the site upgraded and onto the new server, look for various member levels where you'll ultimately be able to elimiate all ads entirely. In the meantime I'd appreciate our members not using an ad-blocking software on this site, because 1) you never know when you'll see something that interests you (I saw one thread pertaining to the K&N filters that started because the poster saw a K&N google ad), and 2) you don't want this site to disappear, do you?

I've been approached to do many various ad campaigns, including a method that would hyperlink certain words in your posts with ads, but I have not accepted those offers in order to keep the PC-user experience a positive one.

I hope this clears some things up. Remember, this site software isn't free, the server it sits on isn't free, and the bandwidth used on this site isn't free. I'm not out to make millions off this site, or even to be able to pay for my future Prius, but I would like to recoup my monthly costs.

3. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the insight Danny. I hope you can someday pay for one, two, or twenty Prii with this website.

I was getting very annoyed with the idea that I had a spyware program showing ads on this website because I run weekly spyware program checks (Ad-Aware, Spybot, and MS AntiSpyware) and routinely clear cookies and cache. That last part is the cause of my problems, because after I clear cache and cookies, I get logged in as a guest. I didn't realize that was the problem, but I'll try to remember to log-on in the future.